Stock suspension swap?

24, 2500 at4 gas
Interesting. Not sure about yours but mine came with fancy shocks I'm not a great fan of. Unfortunately Bilstein don't make anything suitable for my truck. In my Benz I have B16iRC active shocks I can change damper settings from an app; with 19" wheels/tires the ride is absolutely amazing and eliminates roll and bumps at any speed, great for driving on mountain roads with bends and curves at any speed.

Tire pressure, quality tires, and a little weight in the bed smooth out the ride better than aftermarket (mostly)off road shocks. I think a lot of people get the placebo effect spending $1k on shocks.

The factory tires on mine rode “ok” and a little research. It was bc the Goodyear trailrunner tires “New” have 9/32” tread depth and weigh 53lbs. How they are rated for 50k miles means they must use a really hard compound to get the same life out of half the tread.

Every AT I looked at to replace them are 15/32 to 18/32 tread depth and around 65lbs.
The Mickey Thompson EXPs on it now are 10x smoother.

Last edited:
Tire pressure, quality tires, and a little weight in the bed smooth out the ride better than aftermarket (mostly)off road shocks. I think a lot of people get the placebo effect spending $1k on shocks.

The factory tires on mine rode “ok” and a little research. It was bc the Goodyear trailrunner tires “New” have 9/32” tread depth and weigh 53lbs. How they are rated for 50k miles means they must use a really hard compound to get the same life out of half the tread.

Every AT I looked at to replace them are 15/32 to 18/32 tread depth and around 65lbs.
The Mickey Thompson EXPs on it now are 10x smoother.
I run 42lbs on my Mickey Thompsons and that helps somewhat.

Doesn’t FOX make shocks for that truck? I had a 16 2500 with FOX shocks and loved them.

I went with 5100's and Toyo RT trails in 295/65/20. I run my tires at 45 psi empty. I bought to my local off road shop. He said I needed more rubber on the road and better shocks. it works great. Also in gasser so weights should be the same!

For your AT4 Sure.
Mines a 24 2500HD AT4X AEV edition and it has a factory 1.5" SUSPENSION LIFT; I checked the Bilstein site and it did not show any suitable shocks for my truck,

Your Search For '2024 GMC Sierra 2500 HD AT4X' Returned No Results​

Thank you, your search will affect future product development at BILSTEIN. Unfortunately, at this time we do not make any products for this vehicle.

For your AT4 Sure.
Mines a 24 2500HD AT4X AEV edition and it has a factory 1.5" SUSPENSION LIFT; I checked the Bilstein site and it did not show any suitable shocks for my truck,

Thank you, your search will affect future product development at BILSTEIN. Unfortunately, at this time we do not make any products for this vehicle.
FOX?

For your AT4 Sure.

There are some guys on the gm-trucks forum that have done the full swap to the AT4X/ZR2 suspension (shocks, UCAs, knuckles, everything), and some that have done everything but the DSSVs and went with Bilstein 5100s. 5100s should work fine on your truck as they're rated for 0-2" lift, but Bilstein just might not have updated the fit database. I don't think the mounting is any different on the AT4X/ZR2 compared to the non-X/ZR2.

Most reactions

Back