My one gripe with my '24 2500 AT4

Just a tip for you you can hold and drag the camera icon to the left bar of “hot icons”. That way it’s always accessible. One of the first things I did because like you I didn’t like going through screens to find the cameras.
I did this a while back too, prolly BEST tip I have seen on here! The one thing I might add, when I did it I had to (make room), there are only so many hot button spots, so I had to drag one away- then I could put the front camera in that spot. Makes parking so easy peesy.

Last edited:
Yes good point. There is a limit so you choose one to remove. I don’t even remember what I removed.

Keep the column shifter, if you want a console shifter get a Hyundai

Keep the column shifter, if you want a console shifter get a Hyundai
Didn’t realize we went full communist, and have to like the same things. Go ahead and report me to the govt hotline and get my ESG score lowered.

😆 I'm sure if you drive a full size truck your ESG is already low. I assume GM did their homework with consumer studies before they decided to keep the shifter.

Haha yeah this is the odd reaction stuff I’m used to seeing about console shifter vs column shift. It’s like it’s tied to manhood somehow. Really strange.

I’m used to console because of 30 years driving standard transmissions I think so to me column seems out of place. I’m sure everyone has their reasons for either way

😆 I'm sure if you drive a full size truck your ESG is already low. I assume GM did their homework with consumer studies before they decided to keep the shifter.
My ESG is tanked already. Probably in the negatives for the sheer number of NICS checks I’ve had.

I don’t mind the shifter. I just don’t like it blocking the display. I have a background in statistics. It’s all about the sample group they choose. 3/4 tons are historically column shift. The focus groups, which would probably consist of 3/4 ton drivers, would have to agree to a change to what they’re used to. Fat chance a radical change to consol would happen there. The alternative would be to pull a Bud Light move, underrepresent the loyal owners, and stack a demographic of prospective new buyers (wishful thinking). And I would bet on it going down as well as Bud Light plan did.

Haha yeah this is the odd reaction stuff I’m used to seeing about console shifter vs column shift. It’s like it’s tied to manhood somehow. Really strange.

I’m used to console because of 30 years driving standard transmissions I think so to me column seems out of place. I’m sure everyone has their reasons for either way
Yeah. I came from standard transmissions too. A friend of mine calls them millennial anti-theft devices.

Last edited:
I learned to drive using my Dad's 1500 Custom with a straight six and the "3 on the tree"

I grew up on a farm, and Dad was also a contractor, so driving a stick is fine with me. I wish they still made vehicles with sticks.

I have always like my column shift placement - but then, that is what pretty much everything had for many years for where the shift was on a truck. I had a 2013 Ram (for less than a year) and it had the console shift, and I ended up liking it, whichh surprised me. That 23 Ram had some real nice interior bells and whistles compared to GM vehicles of the same generation, I must say. It was never meant to be a truck I was going to own for long, and had the Hemi lifter tick come up bad, so I traded it off.

My 2020 AT4 obviously had the column shift, and I had no issue with that. Simple and effective. Was not overly happy that the 23 AT4X I traded it for had the console shift, but have grown to like it. I still don't like the finicky "get in drive you damn vehicle" part of it. Yes, I am pressing on the brake, etc, so just get into drive - maybe 1 out of 10 times it doesn't like it should. I have some frustrations with that at times, but overall now like the console shift otherwise. Either way would work for me, not a deal killer.

I agree on shifter placement. Blocks part of center screen and just looks out of place. Coming from a 22 Ram 2500. Only other gripe is would like the Weather Channel app. Wife has it on her Caddie XT5. Overall liking it better than the Ram. Getting use to bigger hood to see over. Love the trailer view camera when towing and turn on turn signals. 2024 AT4 gasser.

I still don't like the finicky "get in drive you damn vehicle" part of it. Yes, I am pressing on the brake, etc, so just get into drive - maybe 1 out of 10 times it doesn't like it should. I have some frustrations with that at times, but overall now like the console shift otherwise. Either way would work for me, not a deal killer.

Hey Teegunn,

If you are in reverse you should just have to pull back on the shifter to the stop - no buttons or anything and it will go into drive. Is that how you are doing it? Mine has never failed to go into drive so if yours continues it might be worth taking it for a look just to have a record of it if nothing else.

Hey Teegunn,

If you are in reverse you should just have to pull back on the shifter to the stop - no buttons or anything and it will go into drive. Is that how you are doing it? Mine has never failed to go into drive so if yours continues it might be worth taking it for a look just to have a record of it if nothing else.
Not when I am in reverse. When I start the truck then try to go into drive. I have my foot on the brake and am pressing the button on the left side of the shifter. And then pull back into drive. Sometimes it does not go into drive, even doing those things which are required for it to engage into drive. I don't know why this happens, but it is mildly frustrating at times. Not huge deal, but not as clean or easy as shifting with the steering wheel shift that all my other GM trucks have had.

Are you holding down the button when you go from park to drive?
Yes. Which is why it is frustrating. It normally works, and I am used to foot on the brake, holding the button then pulling back to park. But sometimes it doesn't work. I don't think it is user error. Maybe it doesn't sense the buttton being held in or the brake pedal being pushed in - I truly don't know. It's not a big enough issue for me to take it in, but if it gets worse and happens more often, then I might take it in.

Most reactions

Back