Bluetooth no longer discoverable / Apple CarPlay stopped working

cynistersix

Reaction score
Not sure what happened yet but this is what is going on:

Apple CarPlay stopped connecting (even after rebooting the phone) unless I was connected to the vehicle hotspot
I removed the device from the bluetooth connections on the truck, and restarted the phone.
Still no CarPlay discoverability.
I went to look at the bluetooth connection to see if I could re-do that set up not part of CarPlay
I was able to attempt to connect this morning but it also didn't allow me to use CarPlay.
I removed the phone from the stereo again.

Now when the stereo is in Bluetooth "discovery" mode to add the phone back I can't see any myGMC device from my phone to connect to.

Anyone had this happen? Feels like a service appointment is required if the bluetooth isn't working but I'm tempted to factory reset the head unit.

UPDATE: Got it to connect again. It's the duplicate myGMC entries in the Bluetooth settings on the phone. It will only work with 1 entry.
- Context: My wife and I both drive vehicles with myGMC bluetooth connections.
- You can't rename the connected device "myGMC" to something else unless it's connected. I've now renamed mine to "AT4X"

However, at the moment - carplay is still requiring a wifi connection to connect over bluetooth and it just so happens to use the wifi in the vehicle which is consuming my data... I guess I'll turn the in vehicle wifi off next.

UPDATE 2: Turning off the wifi in the vehicle just made the CarPlay no longer functional. This sounds like something is broken. To use wireless carplay I have to use the in car wifi for data or it will not connect.

Wired connection seems to work just fine which is good but not great.

UPDATE 3: Bought a new iPhone 15 Pro and it works like it did on day 1 where I do not have issues (yet)

Last edited:
i've been having car play and bluetooth connection issues as well. it seems to have happened after one of the updates a few weeks ago. sometimes its connects automatically as usual. sometimes it doesn't and i have to open bluetooth in settings on my phone - it says its connected to mygmc but i have to tap mygmc to force it connect again and then it usually works. sometimes even that doesn't work. i can't figure out the rhyme or reason for this and its infuriating.

A few weeks ago my wireless CarPlay just stopped mid drive.
What I’ve found is that the truck isn’t able to sense wifi. When I go in the settings to wifi networks, I can’t even click on add network anymore.
Bluetooth works fine though.
Bringing to the dealer Monday.

Apple CarPlay uses the wifi network of the truck to transmit from the phone to the truck (unless you are plugged in that is). The transmission from the phone to the truck wifi does not require an actual internet connection, but it does require that the wifi "network" of the truck is functioning. It's similar to how you can transfer files over your home wifi network from device to device without an internet connection.

You can "force" your phone not to use wifi for the car play connection by going into the bluetooth settings> click MyGMC> turn off apple car play. Now you can only connect to CarPlay via the wire. I've had to do this because of many issues with the CarPlay skipping when i first start up.

i've been having car play and bluetooth connection issues as well. it seems to have happened after one of the updates a few weeks ago. sometimes its connects automatically as usual. sometimes it doesn't and i have to open bluetooth in settings on my phone - it says its connected to mygmc but i have to tap mygmc to force it connect again and then it usually works. sometimes even that doesn't work. i can't figure out the rhyme or reason for this and its infuriating.
I’m having this exact issue. It drives me crazy.

A few weeks ago my wireless CarPlay just stopped mid drive.
What I’ve found is that the truck isn’t able to sense wifi. When I go in the settings to wifi networks, I can’t even click on add network anymore.
Bluetooth works fine though.
Bringing to the dealer Monday.
just got told they are ordering a new radio for mine. It’s been in the shop for a week and they had to contact GM to figure it out.

My 2024 2500 has been a train wreck…phone would connect every once in a while. Today I lost all radio audio for a few hours then it decided to work, but now I don’t have audio when i get a phone call. Dealer said GM knows about this issue but doesn’t have a fix yet.…

Every one of our Wireless CarPlay cars have the same problem. Sometime works, sometimes doesn't. When it doesn't work, most of the time there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it work, then later in the day, it starts working again. Wireless CarPlay requires Bluetooth AND WiFi. If you set it up and it works, don't ever change the settings when if chooses not to work, you will only frustrate yourself. It will start working again after you are completely off your system and come back later. (f'ing stupid if you ask me). The big problem is that you are never quite sure if your trucks system is completely off, to get a good reboot out of it. I am not kidding, to avoid un-do frustration, use the "go without it, and try later" approach.

To avoid having no navigation, download the google offline maps (if you have a data plan, or have you truck connected to your home wifi, or possibly a hotspot'ed phone. The bluetooth phone connection always lets you make and receive calls when CarPlay is f'd up. You can get away with those two things until your system decides to grace you with working correctly.

My 2024 2500 has been a train wreck…phone would connect every once in a while. Today I lost all radio audio for a few hours then it decided to work, but now I don’t have audio when i get a phone call. Dealer said GM knows about this issue but doesn’t have a fix yet.…

Don't expect a fix too fast. It's likely a google software issue. When google fixes one thing, they break another, and the cycle never ends. It really has nothing to do with the truck's system. All top shelf cars and trucks heavily rely on google, Microsoft, and other half-ass'd software houses out there. The car manufactures sold their souls to those companies, and bound to their support agreements that screw over the user at every turn. I'm a software engineer and deal with this all the time.

I got a temporary and rather expensive fix... I bought a new iPhone 15 Pro. It now connects to car play wirelessly every time again.

What a crock of ?#*%^

I'm having the same issue with CarPlay on my new 2023. My girlfriend is having the same problem in her Grand Cherokee and another friend in his Ford F250. I think it's a software issue with Apple. If you google it you'll see where others have had the same issues in other brand/model cars. I recently updated to IOS 17 and CarPlay has been working fine for about a week. We'll see...

900 mile trip the last 4 days CarPlay was not working 80% of the time. Very aggravating!

Back