20" to 18" for ride quality?

Wes

Reaction score
I just picked up my new AT4 Saturday. It came with AT BFG 20's. I'm wondering if anyone dropped down to 18" wheels and did it improve the ride enough to justify or should I look at an aftermarket, slightly larger tire like the Nitto Ridge Grappler?

I plan to do the ready Lift UCA leveling kit at the same time.

I have a 22 R GMC AT4, it came with the 18" Duratracs; in the summer I run 20" Michelin Defender M&S ob factory rims. Coincidentally both sizes of tires and rims weigh the same(C rating), no difference in ride or fuel mileage but a huge reduction in noise with the Defenders.:)

I have a 22 R GMC AT4, it came with the 18" Duratracs; in the summer I run 20" Michelin Defender M&S ob factory rims. Coincidentally both sizes of tires and rims weigh the same(C rating), no difference in ride or fuel mileage but a huge reduction in noise with the Defenders.:)
Good to hear fuel mileage had no change, but I assumed ride quality would be better on 18s.

I had factory 18" on my 2500 and went to a 20". After a couple months I sold the 20"s and went back to the factory 18"s with a slightly larger tire. With the 20"s I felt every bump and expansion joint in the highway. Made an already stiff ride (2500 with an empty bed) that much worse. But with the 18" tires, even with E rated tires, it soaked up the small stuff much better.

I have the factory 18" rims and tires on my 22 refresh 1500, and I wouldn't even think of switching to 20"s.

if you only drive on well maintained smooth pavement, you would probably never notice a difference. But here in NY, the roads look like a bombing range, and I do go off road on dirt and gravel roads from time to time.

I had factory 18" on my 2500 and went to a 20". After a couple months I sold the 20"s and went back to the factory 18"s with a slightly larger tire. With the 20"s I felt every bump and expansion joint in the highway. Made an already stiff ride (2500 with an empty bed) that much worse. But with the 18" tires, even with E rated tires, it soaked up the small stuff much better.

I have the factory 18" rims and tires on my 22 refresh 1500, and I wouldn't even think of switching to 20"s.

if you only drive on well maintained smooth pavement, you would probably never notice a difference. But here in NY, the roads look like a bombing range, and I do go off road on dirt and gravel roads from time to time.
I have to run 20's on mine due to the Brembo front brake calipers. The Fox 2.5" coiler help alot! Currently running 35" x 11.50" Ridge Grapplers, they only come E rated. My next tire will be the same size Falken, they are the only ones who have a D rated tire in that size.

I felt almost no difference in ride quality when I switched to 20s from 18s on my 1500 AT4X.

That being said if someone is looking to buy 18s w/ Tires from a 23' AT4X with TPMS I have a set with 5k miles on the set I'm looking to sell.

Not sure if we have a classifieds section in this forum yet but we should if not.

I felt almost no difference in ride quality when I switched to 20s from 18s on my 1500 AT4X.

That being said if someone is looking to buy 18s w/ Tires from a 23' AT4X with TPMS I have a set with 5k miles on the set I'm looking to sell.

Not sure if we have a classifieds section in this forum yet but we should if not.

I don’t think my stock 23 AT4 has a 20” wheel requirement, and a dealer nearby has 4 18” black wheels with Ridge Grapplers mounted at about 50% off. Some bought a new truck, had these put on and didn’t like them.

Anyway to know if there would be an issue going to 18”?

Wes, my 21 came with 20" and I work out in some rough terrain and went to E-rated tires (BFG KO2's). Like everyone talks about.. Putting an "E" rated tire on a 1500 is going to be rougher. My dealer had some 18" rims they were trying to get rid of due to excess stock. I installed "E" rated BFG KO2's and the ride was a little better. Not a large difference. took a hit in mileage with the 3.0 diesel with both sizes when going to an "E" rated tire.
I just installed "C" rated tires and regained my ride quality and some of the fuel mileage back. I no longer have to drive my truck to S Texas and travel lease roads. The 18" wheels fit fine and you are not restricted to a 20" for your truck.
I personally like the 18" size better on these trucks, but that is just me.

Attachments

• 2 AT4.jpg
    2 AT4.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_5598.jpg
    IMG_5598.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Wes
Wes, my 21 came with 20" and I work out in some rough terrain and went to E-rated tires (BFG KO2's). Like everyone talks about.. Putting an "E" rated tire on a 1500 is going to be rougher. My dealer had some 18" rims they were trying to get rid of due to excess stock. I installed "E" rated BFG KO2's and the ride was a little better. Not a large difference. took a hit in mileage with the 3.0 diesel with both sizes when going to an "E" rated tire.
I just installed "C" rated tires and regained my ride quality and some of the fuel mileage back. I no longer have to drive my truck to S Texas and travel lease roads. The 18" wheels fit fine and you are not restricted to a 20" for your truck.
I personally like the 18" size better on these trucks, but that is just me.
Thanks for the reply. I'll need to see if those 18" wheels are E rated. I don't need that and would rather have a bit more ride quality while going a slight bit larger and more aggressive looking. I personally like the look of the 20" wheels better and found non-E rated Grapplers pretty reasonable.

I just picked up my new AT4 Saturday. It came with AT BFG 20's. I'm wondering if anyone dropped down to 18" wheels and did it improve the ride enough to justify or should I look at an aftermarket, slightly larger tire like the Nitto Ridge Grappler?

I plan to do the ready Lift UCA leveling kit at the same time.
I have a at4x with 17K miles, 18" factory rims with goodyear duratrac's. They would make great "farm truck" tire....especially on a hay wagon(I'm not a farmer). They have to go as I spend 95% of the time on pavement and they never should have been spec'd on this truck with so many better options. However, tread depth is good at these miles but a tire like this will not wear well outside of the lab. There are other choices out there and specifically I am holding out for the BFG KO3's with all of the desired improvements. One thing to always keep in mind is tire weight when purchasing. TireRack has all of the manufacture tire specs published. Michelin are typically the lowest and BFG's are not far behind regarding tire weight. As we all know, rotating mass...starts/stops and highway speeds are dramatically impacted by tires that weigh 6-10 lbs more per tire in comparison. Can't stress it enough...watch tire weights compared to OEM tire or you will lose performance and pay much more at the pump.

Back