'23 6.2 engine owners...

Interesting its just the 23 year. It would be nice to know what years and plants the engines came from that had or have the issues.

Yeah it should be all of them. My '21 had right bank lifter failure at 14k miles. Asked about replacing the left side and dealer said they weren't authorized. Asked how much to replace since they were already there and had half the teardown done. $2,900. Said no thanks.
Glad I did. Advisor told me my truck would "be done tomorrow." Never got a call until 2 days later. He said they got it back together on the day they were supposed to but when they took it for a test drive one of the brand new lifters failed. Couldn't believe they were replacing with the same ones.

Oh I defiantly believe they used same old failing parts. But it’s mind blowing they do it. They should give you the option to AFM/DFM delete with cam etc when rebuilding too. Its BS.

Worst part is I've been running DFM disabled since 800mi. Only ever took it off for service visits like oil change and still the failure.

And how bout an option for 1 piece lifters as well!

I have mine disabled too since about 10k. But from my understanding it doesn’t actually keep the engine from failing or future proof it. From what I have read at best it delays the inevitable. Im no mechanic I just get my information from what I read. I really want to do a delete kit BUT my wife would castrate me if I tore down my new to us with less than 15k miles truck. And castrate would be the best case scenario for me.

☝️Correct.
The lifters can still fail even if the software isn't activating them. It's like a 4wd actuator. It can still fail even if you never use it. Conversely, it MIGHT fail faster if it gets used a lot. There are too many variables and not enough data out there to determine if there is any correlation between disabling AFM/DOD and longer lifter life.

Considering they aren't even calling it an official recall, I don't think any warm fuzzies are warranted. This feels like GM doing the least costly thing possible to avoid litigation.

Considering they aren't even calling it an official recall, I don't think any warm fuzzies are warranted. This feels like GM doing the least costly thing possible to avoid litigation.
I agree, and wonder what from or where from the 6.2 is failing. Like is it a certain plant or did they use different parts or did the hire DEI that day or? It would be nice to know the specifics for sure.

There are too many variables and not enough data out there to determine if there is any correlation between disabling AFM/DOD and longer lifter life.
Since the collapsing 2-piece lifter is the main mechanical function in cylinder deactivation for AFM/DFM, that's enough correlation for me to keep running with it disabled... even if its just to make me feel better.
51k miles and the closer I get to 60k the more nervous I get.

Most reactions

Back