What's the story behind your forum name?

I’ll miss most of the people and the shared sense of mission, duty, honor, and commitment.

I won’t miss the endless and increasing paperwork, process, or social engineering. Society’s impact on police training and policy has been disastrous, and it’s getting worse.

Media and politicians don’t understand the streets — or the concepts of conflict and survival. They think we can “nice” every person into law abiding behavior, and they think that physically strong, capable people are “militaristic” and mean. The truth is, most of the most capable warriors I know are friendly, soft-hearted, generous, kind people — because they have the disposition, poise, presence, and confidence to be these things. Sometimes conflict is unavoidable, but it’s the frightened, unfit, and unprepared cops you have to worry about turning a small conflict into a fatal one.

Our recruits get a little softer, a little fatter, a little less driven, a little less disciplined, and a little more entitled every year. The change over the last 10 years has been dramatic. The change over 30 years is stark. These days new recruits whine about the rigors of training and file personnel complaints when training days are long or the DI’s tell them to “suck it the f@#k up!” They report incredibly minor injuries. It’s shocking… It would never have occurred to anybody from my era to whine about the misery of boot camp or LEO training. First, it would not have eased the pain, and second, it would have meant admitting you weren’t tough enough, and nobody wanted to do that. With the exception of most former military, our newest generation of trainees has plenty of complainers, and when they complain the HR folks and lawyers start an inquiry. Since most of them understand little about what we do or need, what usually follows is easier training, and less stress inoculation.

The politicians, media, and social engineers think easing training is “progress”. They consider it part of the “demilitarization” of police. The great irony is that this BS doesn’t build the cops anybody wants. We end up with cops who are less strong, less capable, less durable, less useful, and less confident. “Verbal Judo” is fantastic, and we emphasize the art of de-escalation, but it works best in the hands of strong, confident cops, and it doesn’t solve every problem. In the end, weaker cops are MUCH more likely to resort to deadly force — because their weak presence invites more conflict, and when conflict comes they’re less able to manage it without resorting to a firearm. At the same time, we’re empowering criminals, and they are training in MMA. What could possibly go wrong?

Sorry for the hijack… An old man with building anxiety. Whiners or not, I care about the next generation of people willing to do this job. Society is doing many things to make the world more dangerous for them, while forcing us to ensure recruits are less prepared to manage it.
Couldn't agree with you more! The rookies coming out of the academies don't even know what it's like to get punched...and when they do for the 1st time in the real world...too many of them flight instead of fight! The last rookie I had wanted to know why she didn't have a brand new vehicle and all the long guns fresh out of the academy...it was all downhill from there! EARN IT!

LEO581 - I'm not creative at all with these things so I took my profession (Law Enforcement Officer) and badge number and viola! I've been a Police Officer in central PA for 15 years. No prior military service, so much respect to those that served and then wanted to make a profession out of it.

So mine's a bit different story than everyone else and not certain why I used it here since it doesn't really apply but it's been my forum name a lot of places so it's kinda stuck, even in music production.

I had a 2008 Volkswagen R32, which was a Rabbit with AWD and a 3.2L VR6 motor that pumped out 250hp, quite a bit more than the standard Rabbit or GTI. I wanted custom plates and while trying to think of one that would fit with the requied number of letters I came up with -JAKRBT- or jackrabbit since the car was a Rabbit with a larger, more powerful motor. It's just kinda stuck ever since. And when I came here I couldn't really think of anything, despite having previously had a '21 1500 AT4 so I took the easy (lazy) route.

My forum name is simply a nick name I received in high school. It's a play on my last name.

Pretty simple here. My initials and last name.

Started out in the early 90's on HKpro bulletin board... then it turned into an online forum. Have used this username since, on forums.
Small world, I spend quite a bit of time on HKPro. Been over there since 2015.

My forum name has to do with where I used to live in the US plus my County/Country of birth, Kent/UK is known as the Queens county.

I used to live close to the Pine Barrens in New Jersey, plus I took the liberty of assigning myself a royal title of a Baron rather than purchase one for at least 100,000GBP; a Baron is a member of the lowest order of the British nobility. The name PineBaron evolved :D

1974 I bought a brand new Chevy 4X4 long box. Didn't have it very long and decided on bigger tires. Don't remember what size. Tire dealer show me some tires that said Desert Dog in white letters. Put those on. A couple weeks later had my first CB installed. A good friend saw the tires and said my CB handle should be Desert Dog. Stuck with me even now at 77yrs old. A couple ol friends still ask me how ol Desert Dog is doing.

Thank you to the guys and gals that served! Many years ago I when I was young I bought a brand new boat and needed to name it. At the time I had an English Bulldog and a Bloodhound and I was known for those dogs for some reason. So it made sense to put them together to get Bullhound. Seems ridiculous now that I'm older but I use it most of the time and it's usually available when I need a name lol.

Pretty simple, My favorite dog is the Bluetick coondhound.

Attachments

• Blue-33-1.JPG
    Blue-33-1.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 11
Thank you to the guys and gals that served! Many years ago I when I was young I bought a brand new boat and needed to name it. At the time I had an English Bulldog and a Bloodhound and I was known for those dogs for some reason. So it made sense to put them together to get Bullhound. Seems ridiculous now that I'm older but I use it most of the time and it's usually available when I need a name lol.
I Still don't have a name for my boat! Can't quite come up with one that fits.....

Mine is an old nickname given to me in high school. My friend came over one day and yelled "Jimmy Jimmy Cocoabean" as though any of us knew what the hell that was or what he was talking about. He swore he it was a popular name or brand, but none of us had a clue what it was. Since my name is James, and I made the foolish mistake of engaging with him on it I got branded the Cocoabean. I hated it, so naturally it spread like wildfire. Now most of my friends know me by this nickname.

This has been my gamertag for over 20 years. I coined it off a Mudvayne album, but ‘LD50’ is the term given to ‘last resort’ medications. Basically a toxic unit to measure the lethal dose of a given substance. Anything labeled LD50 will kill half of subjects taking it (lethal dose: 50%)

Most reactions

Back