AEV releases a winch installation kit...

So it’s $500 the kit but how much is the winch itself? Or is that with the winch too?

So it’s $500 the kit but how much is the winch itself? Or is that with the winch too?
Uh, no, that is just the mount. Doesn't a person get to chose whatever winch they want? Or does it have a proprietary bolt pattern?

Uh, no, that is just the mount. Doesn't a person get to chose whatever winch they want? Or does it have a proprietary bolt pattern?
Yeah I was going to say that’s actually a pretty good deal haha

I was so keen on ordering a winch for my AT4X, long before it was released, and now its available I'm not sure I want it. I would almost never use it and only be good for bragging rights when I visit my daughter in BC Canada. The last time I pulled anything out was more than two years ago when I had to drag my 1800lb 72" Hustler zero turn mower out of the mud on our property, I used our Ford Expedition and a tow strap that time. If I had the winch, I'd probably drive around next winter looking for folk with vehicles stuck in ditches. The winch would also add another few inches to this long truck; I'm still thinking :)

Forget the Winch, We can use tow straps with a little foot (muddy or snow boots never hurt anyone) and hand work, of course unless you are a serious off roader making the winch a standard add on. I contacted AEV 1 1/2 year ago for my 2023, to come up with a grill guard for the GMC and Chevys, A simple hook under their lower bumper then bolt on the existing holes, those holes extended on the front of the grill guard, thus protecting the expensive head lights ($1,800.00 a side) let alone the grill. Here in the Midwest dodging deer, pheasants, eagle, hawks, crows, turkeys, and cattle, let alone crazy drivers, this made more sense than a winch. Since 1978 I've been driving 4X4's, stuck a lot and never had a winch but worn out many a tow strap. Also had numerous grill guards that saved my grill many times from all the above. Come on AEV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ordered the winch with dealer install, a bit pricey no doubt. Dealer will install at the same time as replacing rear spring pack assemblies ( see different thread). Hopefully I'll find some use for the winch; seemed a shame having a winch ready steel bumper with no winch hence gave in :D to feel complete.

Sure will do.
Having winches, I can't believe the winch mount won't tie into the frame. Definitely looking forward to pictures.

Not putting down the AEV steel bumper, but that thing isn't 3/8ths to 1/2" thick, is it?

I'm going to guess they will remove the bumper, install the winch and mount and reinstall the bumper and hide all that money spent! 🤑

But, you'll have a hook in the front, for your boy to hang a 5gal bucket on, playing. Then the next day you're driving to work hearing a bad noise in the front end and looking like a complete idiot.

I'm not sure if it ties to the frame but it comes with a bunch of installation hardware and not just nuts and bolts.
I will have a few pictures to share for sure, the winch and new spring pack pictures. All fun and games :)

The Comeup Winch purchase is one part and the AEV winch installation kit is another part to be separately purchased, each with its own dealer install charges.

The Chevrolet and GMC Sierra HD AT4X AEV Edition winch kit for sale includes a 2mm-thick zinc e-coated winch solenoid mounting bracket, license plate mounting bracket, AEV winch hook isolator, and all the hardware required for a complete installation.

The license plate bracket overhangs on the top side of the fairlead. I don't believe its a visible dangly hook as you imagine; we are obliged to display a front licence plate here in WA and it will cover the winch hook :D

Its a fairly complicated install hence I preferred the dealer to install.

Having winches, I can't believe the winch mount won't tie into the frame. Definitely looking forward to pictures.

Not putting down the AEV steel bumper, but that thing isn't 3/8ths to 1/2" thick, is it?
From looking at them on the dealer lot they are stamped, maybe 3/16". Makes sense I guess, no way they could mass produce welded 7/16" or 1/2" steel bumpers for all the trucks out.

For the price of the mounting kit I would think they would have some sort of reinforcing steel that the winch mounts to and at least ties to the bumper mounts, but looking at the link its just heavy sheet steel mounting plates (2mm ain't much). They must trust the bumper mounts. It will probably be fine pulling the truck with help from the drivetrain. As long as no one tries to winch a disabled truck with a 20,000lb trailer attached!

From looking at them on the dealer lot they are stamped, maybe 3/16". Makes sense I guess, no way they could mass produce welded 7/16" or 1/2" steel bumpers for all the trucks out.

For the price of the mounting kit I would think they would have some sort of reinforcing steel that the winch mounts to and at least ties to the bumper mounts, but looking at the link its just heavy sheet steel mounting plates (2mm ain't much). They must trust the bumper mounts. It will probably be fine pulling the truck with help from the drivetrain. As long as no one tries to winch a disabled truck with a 20,000lb trailer attached!
The 2mm-thick zinc e-coated plate is only for winch solenoid mounting bracket

The 2mm-thick zinc e-coated plate is only for winch solenoid mounting bracket
From the picture it looks like all brackets in the kit are fairly thin but who knows.

Screenshot_20240514-174739_Samsung Internet.jpg

Most reactions

Back