Tires other than All Terrain??

theSupremeRuler

Reaction score
So coming from the Jeep world, I have done the all terrain and mud terrain tires. On this truck, 2019 1500 AT4, I want to go a different route. I’m more looking at quiet, comfort and longevity. I’m not really interested in going with an all terrain again. These Duratracs are garbage. I was looking at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S in the factory 275/60/18. Is anyone running this tire? For the record, I get the AT4 is the OffRoad version and putting a street tire may be frowned upon, but I’m not taking it OffRoad, it’s not the Jeep.

I have the Defenders on separate rims and will be running them for the summer months, the stock Duratracs will be run for the winter. The Defenders are much quieter, better on ice if that's a concern, and don't wander as much as the Duratracs. My truck is a 22 Refresh AT4 with the stock 18's and the Defenders are on GM 20" rims. The 20" Defender and the 18" Duratrac are the same weight so no reduction in rotating mass. 🙂

So coming from the Jeep world, I have done the all terrain and mud terrain tires. On this truck, 2019 1500 AT4, I want to go a different route. I’m more looking at quiet, comfort and longevity. I’m not really interested in going with an all terrain again. These Duratracs are garbage. I was looking at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S in the factory 275/60/18. Is anyone running this tire? For the record, I get the AT4 is the OffRoad version and putting a street tire may be frowned upon, but I’m not taking it OffRoad, it’s not the Jeep.
I can't comment on the Defenders, but they look comparable to the Firestone Destination LE3's. I wanted the OWL tires to compliment the white truck. They are 275/65/R18 's, and are 70,000 mile warranty tires as well. They are quiet and the ride is great. Got them for 172.00 each earlier this year. I don't think you could go wrong with either tire. I just switched back to the Duratracs for winter and man are they noisy.
calipers.jpg

I can't comment on the Defenders, but they look comparable to the Firestone Destination LE3's. I wanted the OWL tires to compliment the white truck. They are 275/65/R18 's, and are 70,000 mile warranty tires as well. They are quiet and the ride is great. Got them for 172.00 each earlier this year. I don't think you could go wrong with either tire. I just switched back to the Duratracs for winter and man are they noisy. View attachment 2331
Yea, these duratracs are unbearable. They still have decent tread but the noise is so loud between 30-40 and then again 50-60mph. Not to mention the traction isn’t even as good an the mud terrains I had on the Jeep

Hi, I am not to the point where I need new tires and not sure when I do the route I will go. I can tell you I ran the Michelin's on my Avalanche for 15 years and never thought of running a different tire. They last, are reliable and worked great on that truck in the snow.

Hi, I am not to the point where I need new tires and not sure when I do the route I will go. I can tell you I ran the Michelin's on my Avalanche for 15 years and never thought of running a different tire. They last, are reliable and worked great on that truck in the snow.
I end up going with the Michelins and they are absolutely as quiet as can be. I’ll be taking my first real highway trip tomorrow so I’ll see what they are like more than just around town but I have no doubts they will be as smooth and quiet as anything out there.

I end up going with the Michelins and they are absolutely as quiet as can be. I’ll be taking my first real highway trip tomorrow so I’ll see what they are like more than just around town but I have no doubts they will be as smooth and quiet as anything out there.
The Michelin LTX M/S are one of the best tires made. 80k miles, smooth, quiet, and I've driven them on snowy mountain cut in roads of South Idaho.

Yea the Goodyear duragarbage isn't a tire you'd could pay me to have backon the truck. My Nitto ridge grappler look meatier and are alot quieter too.

Yea the Goodyear duragarbage isn't a tire you'd could pay me to have backon the truck. My Nitto ridge grappler look meatier and are alot quieter too.
I’m thinking hard about the Falken Wildpeak R/T as soon as they are available for my 23 AT4.

I’m thinking hard about the Falken Wildpeak R/T as soon as they are available for my 23 AT4.
I hav e a set of falkens on my factory wheels and theyvare also nice too. I have since chaged wheels and tires to bigger with the nittos and 10in wide wheels but the Falkens are real nice. I even have Falkens on my winter rat SUV that I use year around..

I hav e a set of falkens on my factory wheels and theyvare also nice too. I have since chaged wheels and tires to bigger with the nittos and 10in wide wheels but the Falkens are real nice. I even have Falkens on my winter rat SUV that I use year around..
I had Falken AT 3s in my Dually and loved them but the new R/T isn’t available for anyone yet but are pretty nice looking.

Curious how those Michelins are working for you. My truck has the stock Goodyear Trail Runner 20in tires. I drive on the highway (a lot) and like the 24-25 avg MPG. Not sure if I want to go with a LTX/AT or stick with more of the street tire design of the LTX M/S.

I see your from Florida so the Defender should work very well for you even if you have the occasional trip in the mud. They are not as good as an off road tire in the deep mud as they don't have as much open tread and do not clean as well. I have run mine since spring and they continue to be as quiet as day 1. :)

I see your from Florida so the Defender should work very well for you even if you have the occasional trip in the mud. They are not as good as an off road tire in the deep mud as they don't have as much open tread and do not clean as well. I have run mine since spring and they continue to be as quiet as day 1. :)
andystoy
I bought the Defenders and so far not bad. Starting to get off-road for hunting season but to early for a final verdict on the off-road capability. Not as an aggressive looking tire as I’d like looks more like a tire you’d expect to see on a Denali …but the MPG has stayed the same (not better than stock Goodyear).

Back