Taillight wiring for flat towing?

JalanAT4

Reaction score
Hopefully I have this in the right forum.

I have a 2024 AT4 that I plan to flat tow behind my RV. I installed a Blue Ox baseplate, but the wiring for the taillights has me stumped.

I have an eTrailer diode wiring kit that I was planning to install, but it entails cutting and splicing into the factory harness. I hesitate to do that because I am having trouble identifying which wires control which functions and when I measure voltage to the lights, it is around 5 volts, rather than 12, as I was expecting. I don't want to fry the taillights by passing 12V from the RV hitch into them.

Is there a harness made that I can use to splice into the factory harness without cutting the factory harness wires?
Do the taillights run on a lower voltage than 12V?

Thanks.

Joe

The taillights will run on 12v. I agree dont want to cut factory harness. People have done this with older vehicles but it doesn't sound easy and with the computers controlling everything not sure I would attempt it. What about auxiliary taillights?

The taillights will run on 12v. I agree dont want to cut factory harness. People have done this with older vehicles but it doesn't sound easy and with the computers controlling everything not sure I would attempt it. What about auxiliary taillights?
Thanks for your reply. I have been exploring auxiliary towing lights. But they generally don't look very good to me. However, they are non-intrusive and don't require truck modification.

Back