gm has released a fix for the tailgate dropping...

So does this mean parts are ready and we can schedule appointments? As of this last week, when I log into the MyGMC app a notification pops up telling me to schedule an appointment for the recall, but I've been hesitant since I haven't received a letter yet.

So does this mean parts are ready and we can schedule appointments? As of this last week, when I log into the MyGMC app a notification pops up telling me to schedule an appointment for the recall, but I've been hesitant since I haven't received a letter yet.
Since they are replacing a part I would wait unless you are experiencing the issue but the only people that can accurately answer your question are the people who have to order parts and perform your recall.

I have till '26 to get this done. Both trucks aren't showing symptoms and I "cured" the water infiltration situation.

I want to think gm took great strides to come up with a water proof switch, but I still have the block heater cord fiasco burnt in my mind.

I'm going to wear out the switches I have now and then get new switches in a couple of years.

Since they are replacing a part I would wait unless you are experiencing the issue but the only people that can accurately answer your question are the people who have to order parts and perform your recall.
I've been experiencing the issue basically since I bought it. It happened twice within the first month of ownership, then the dealer replaced the switch last July and I was good until about a couple months ago when it started happening again. I want to get it taken care of before it opens into something and causes damage.

My preventive bush fix has yet to fail me despite PNW and BC rains. 8" long (model planes engines) silicon fuel lines inserted into holes, then bonded to the two holes helping drain water way below tailgate switch.
TailGate.jpg

I used black roofing sealant to seal up the holes on mine after I had the switch replaced once by the dealer and again by myself. Haven’t had a single issue since I sealed the holes.

When I recently bought mine the dealer already disabled the switch and marked the recall as complete. Am I hosed? I don’t have any active recalls.

When I recently bought mine the dealer already disabled the switch and marked the recall as complete. Am I hosed? I don’t have any active recalls.
Well hell. I would say, take truck to a dealer and tell service that tailgate button/buttons don't work, under warranty.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if you buy a new truck, does it already have the new part(s) inside? So it cannot be part of the recall?

I drove a diesel ZR2 today (man, what a ride). I checked the tailgate and it has the same 2 holes on the recess. But I guess it was made with the new part, or the dealer already put it in?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if you buy a new truck, does it already have the new part(s) inside? So it cannot be part of the recall?

I drove a diesel ZR2 today (man, what a ride). I checked the tailgate and it has the same 2 holes on the recess. But I guess it was made with the new part, or the dealer already put it in?
Not a dumb question. I bought my truck 1 week ago and as of this morning GMC said there were no recalls on the truck.

What I dont understand is why the recall involves replacing the switch with one that has improved water seals instead of replacing the top of the tailgate trim with one that does not have an indention and therefore no need to have drain holes.

Not a dumb question. I bought my truck 1 week ago and as of this morning GMC said there were no recalls on the truck.

What I dont understand is why the recall involves replacing the switch with one that has improved water seals instead of replacing the top of the tailgate trim with one that does not have an indention and therefore no need to have drain holes.
Totally with you on that. And if they want to keep the recess, just get rid of the holes. Who cares if it fills with some water every now and then, it is solid plastic. But you're right, put a solid cap on top and boom, done.

As of last week, my dealer claims there are no parts available. Their "remedy" is to disable the switch. I told them hell no, I haven't had an issue and I bought the truck a year ago!

Back