Fuel System Cleaner

FirstTimeTruckOwner

Active member
Joined
Feb 1, 2023
Messages
186
Media
32
Reaction score
138
Location
Florida
Hey all!

I had my truck at the dealership today to get a transmission flush (54k miles) and one of the "recommended" services they mentioned was a complete fuel system clean at something like $430. I've only run premium since I got the truck, so 1) wondering if this is really even needed and 2) would I be better off running a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner the next time I fill up?
 

What does a $430 fuel system clean even look like? Do they pump some cleaning solution through the engine? Take the injectors out? I've never heard of such service before.

Maybe run a bottle or two of redline fuel system cleaner your next fill up and call it good. $40 vs $430.
 

What does a $430 fuel system clean even look like? Do they pump some cleaning solution through the engine? Take the injectors out? I've never heard of such service before.

Maybe run a bottle or two of redline fuel system cleaner your next fill up and call it good. $40 vs $430.
I wish I knew! That's why I was thinking of just running a bottle of cleaner and being done with it!
 

They're going to run a can of injector cleaner thru the test port. Total rip off. My kid has a Kia they tried to rope her into that when the car was 6 months old.
 

I asked AI. Here is that I got back:
A dealership’s “fuel system cleaning” usually means an on-car chemical cleaning, not removing and washing every fuel-system part. The exact procedure varies by vehicle and dealer, but it commonly goes like this:

  1. Diagnose the vehicle first. The technician may scan for fault codes, check fuel-trim data, inspect for misfires, and verify whether symptoms actually suggest deposits or injector problems.
  2. Add cleaner to the fuel tank. A detergent additive may be poured into the tank. This cleans gradually as the vehicle is driven, mainly targeting deposits in the fuel and injector system.
  3. Connect a pressurized cleaning machine. For a stronger service, the technician may:

    • Disable the vehicle’s normal fuel supply—often by disconnecting or bypassing the fuel pump.
    • Connect a canister of concentrated cleaner to the fuel rail or fuel-injection system.
    • Start the engine and run it on the cleaner at controlled pressure and engine speed.
    • Let the chemical pass through the injectors and combustion chambers.
  4. Clean the intake system separately, if included. An “induction service” may spray cleaner into the throttle body or intake while the engine runs. This targets the throttle plate, intake passages, and sometimes intake-valve deposits. It is different from cleaning the fuel tank.
  5. Clear residue and test-drive the car. The technician reconnects the fuel system, checks for leaks or warning lights, and may road-test the vehicle.
A basic tank additive does not clean the throttle body or intake valves. Also, direct-injection engines can develop intake-valve deposits that ordinary fuel additives cannot reach, because fuel is injected directly into the cylinders rather than sprayed over the intake valves. In that case, a more involved procedure—sometimes manual cleaning or walnut blasting—is required.

Before approving the service, ask the dealer: “Is this a tank additive, a fuel-rail cleaning, or an intake induction service, and what diagnosis shows that my vehicle needs it?” The work should be supported by symptoms, test results, or the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule rather than just mileage.
 

New Posts

Most reactions

Back
Top