Extended Warranty

All- I have a 2021 1500 with 3.0 in it with 75,000. I love the truck and plan on keeping it. I run roughly 20,000 miles a year. Any suggestions on extended warranties?
Skip it. At this point the only thing you will get is a third party warranty and they are absolutely junk. I have a good friend who runs an auto shop. He won't take third party warranty work because it's nearly impossible to collect. Good maintenance and care is the way to go. Cant stress this enough, dont even think about it.

I agree with Viking......3rd party warranty providers are more trouble than they're worth. Having been a service advisor for some years when I was younger, I always hated dealing with 3rd party warranty providers because of their processes and procedures and tendencies not to cover certain repairs that the manufacturer extended warranty would've covered without qustion. And then trying to collect once the work was done was just a much of a hassle as trying to obtain work authorization. And sometimes they'd want the customer to pay up front and then reimburse them directly.

With your current mileage, I'd just stick with what you have and save the extended warranty money for any necessary repairs/services.

I was looking at getting the GM Protection plan extended warranty through Knapp. Unfortunately I learned that the cost of the warranty increases pretty dramatically the more mileage you already have on the vehicle.

Another forum member posted that he paid around $2000 for a 86 month 100K bumper to bumper. He had 200 miles or so on his truck at the time he purchased the warranty.

I’ve got 3000 miles on my truck and Knapp quoted me $3000 for the same warranty.

Are the factory extended warranties different prices through different dealers? I would think as long as it's factory extended and not a 3rd party it would be the same price.
I'm at 2600 miles so I guess I know how much it'll cost.

Are the factory extended warranties different prices through different dealers? I would think as long as it's factory extended and not a 3rd party it would be the same price.
Not sure if all dealers offer an extended warranty through GM Protection Service. Knapp has a reputation for offering the extended warranty at a discount. The quote I got for the same warranty directly from GM was in the $4000 range.

They are with Jeep for sure. Im active on a Jeep 392 forum and I bought a 84 month 80,000 mile Mopar warranty from a dealer in another state for $1200. They advertise at $50 over their cost. Others were much higher. I really dont do extended warranties but this was a genuine extension of the 36 month 36,000 mile manufacturers warranty for probably what one engine or transmission issue would cost.

The short answer is yes there can be price variations just as there are with vehicle prices between dealers. GM charges a certain price and it's up to the dealership to make over and above that price with markup. So if you buy directly from the dealer, don't just accept whatever price they throw out at first. There's definitley wiggle room.

I bought my AT4 on March 16th and I just bought my wife a 24 Hyundai Palisade limited last Saturday. With all the electronics in these vehicles I choose to buy the extended warranty at the dealership. I know it is not the true GM extended warranty because they use a third party but I usually keep saying I don't want it to the finance manager and strangely enough they keep lowering the price of it. Having bough both of my new vehicles from the same dealership it definitely helped on the price of the second one. For the first one I went in with a check from Navy Fed CU and had it made for $1500 over the agreed price and said if they can offer everything, minus GAP since I only owed 41k, and they made it happen. For the Palisade, since I was a repeat customer they matched what they gave me before, after a bit of haggling. My truck will probably only last 2 or 3 years at the way I trade in vehicles but my wife will probably run the Palisade until it dies, hopefully after a long time. You can always cash out the unused portion of the extended warranty if you trade in.

GM just sent me a offer for an extended warranty. But with all the mods I have done Im pretty sure they would not cover the big worries I have like engine transmission etc. i was going to call but they probably would say it’s covered and I would buy it and find out later its not covered. After arguing with myself I decided to not try.

Most reactions

Back