Exhaust brake question

VolklRunner

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2026
Messages
82
Media
36
Reaction score
18
Location
Nevada
Excuse the ignorance, but when do you use it? When Towing you just turn it on and leave it on the entire time? Do you only turn it on when going down steep grades? Is it something you could use if you were going down something steep in four-wheel-drive? I have turned it on when going down the steep grade doing like 65 foot off the pedal and I don’t really feel a difference when it’s on or off.
Thanks, I appreciate the forum.
 

The manual makes it sound like it is designed to work in conjunction with higher RPMs. I would not expect it to do much if you were coasting down a grade, unless you can get it to start down shifting. I can tell you that it has a noticeable effect when paired with the normal hydraulic braking. I notice it a lot when I’m towing my camper.

IMG_0578.webp
 

Last edited:
I use it when I go to Whistler BC from here south of the BC border, with its constant ups and downs; saves me hitting the brake 'a lot'
 

Appreciate the replies. I have a little better understanding. Appears it works in conjunction with the brake pedal. I’ll give it a go.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top