Exceeding Max Payload Capacity

tbossmustang

Reaction score
Question for the group that I'd like some opinions on. We're in the process of purchasing a 5th wheel and ends up the one that we've really decided on meets all other requirements however would put our 2024 2500 AT4 roughly 361 lbs over max payload. That includes the occasional trip in which we'd have all 5 passengers, the hitch and accounted for a little additional for whatever the kiddos decide they want in the truck with them. I know it's a no-no per GMC but figured I'd reach out for thoughts from the group. Thanks in advance!

Truck won't have any problem.

It's the brakes that I would be concerned with. Also, God forbid, if you were in an accident and not your fault and it came to find out you were over, it wouldn't be good. It's a sue happy world out there.

Thanks for all the quick replies! Guessing I had payload on my brain and probably the same answer but I actually meant 361 over GVWR. Thanks!

If you have not purchased it, loaded it, and had it on a scale how are you determining it's 361 # over? Remember those manufactures trailer weights are not that accurate. 361# is not enough to be concerned with you could loose that easily if you're talking about loaded weight. My concern would be the truck is load to max or close every time you tow. What about all the other wieghts axle, payload etc?

If you have not purchased it, loaded it, and had it on a scale how are you determining it's 361 # over? Remember those manufactures trailer weights are not that accurate. 361# is not enough to be concerned with you could loose that easily if you're talking about loaded weight. My concern would be the truck is load to max or close every time you tow. What about all the other wieghts axle, payload etc?
I've only ran the numbers via an on-line calculator and ran the math to verify. Unfortunately instead of purchasing the truck to match the 5th wheel, we're instead having to do it in reverse and primarily because our truck is new and we're selling our boat in exchange for the RV.

I've only ran the numbers via an on-line calculator and ran the math to verify. Unfortunately instead of purchasing the truck to match the 5th wheel, we're instead having to do it in reverse and primarily because our truck is new and we're selling our boat in exchange for the RV.
Soo much wrong here...gonna sell the boat?!

If your math meets reality you'll be fine. If you didn't factor in something like fresh water or waste water being towed, or putting anything in the truck bed while towing, then you are going to have an issue.

I towed an old blazer about 2,000 miles with my 1500 AT4 and stopped at some scales to weigh it. The trailer and blazer were within the tow rating of the truck but I had a bunch of crap in the bed of the truck, and I was sitting there with half a tank of gas. I was around 100 pounds under the GCVWR. Then I filled up on gas. Then my brother got back in the car. No doubt I was 200-300 pounds over the GCVWR at that point. The truck drove great and braked great too.

Point is, if in reality you are towing 1-3% more weight than your vehicle is rated for, you are going to be fine. Just don't forget to include EVERYTHING in your calculations. Include the 200 pounds of crap you leave stored in the camper, the 150lb equalizer hitch, ten pounds of safety chains, 15 pounds of snacks and drinks, and the collective 25 pounds your family gained at that thanksgiving weekend vacation. :LOL:

If your math meets reality you'll be fine. If you didn't factor in something like fresh water or waste water being towed, or putting anything in the truck bed while towing, then you are going to have an issue.

I towed an old blazer about 2,000 miles with my 1500 AT4 and stopped at some scales to weigh it. The trailer and blazer were within the tow rating of the truck but I had a bunch of crap in the bed of the truck, and I was sitting there with half a tank of gas. I was around 100 pounds under the GCVWR. Then I filled up on gas. Then my brother got back in the car. No doubt I was 200-300 pounds over the GCVWR at that point. The truck drove great and braked great too.

Point is, if in reality you are towing 1-3% more weight than your vehicle is rated for, you are going to be fine. Just don't forget to include EVERYTHING in your calculations. Include the 200 pounds of crap you leave stored in the camper, the 150lb equalizer hitch, ten pounds of safety chains, 15 pounds of snacks and drinks, and the collective 25 pounds your family gained at that thanksgiving weekend vacation. :LOL:
Lol, thanks for that...much appreciated!

Yup, selling our boat. Our daughter is special needs and out on the water is no place for a severe meltdown. Point was that I already have the truck due to the boat and zero interest in trading it in.
Why, interested in purchasing it?

Lol, thanks for that...much appreciated!
and the collective 25 pounds your family gained at that thanksgiving weekend vacation. :LOL:
So in case of an accident/claim, a fast quick acting/working diet is recommended for driver and passengers to emulate total weight to be below maximum permissible in case investigtors insist on re-enacting the scenario. :LOL:

Good news is I have found the GM HD's typically have a higher payload than other brands. What 5th wheel are you looking at?

A crash reconstruction is usually only completed by LE for an SBI or THI, a private attorney can pay a consultant to do one after the fact but by that time it's mostly speculation and can be argued. Being a little over weight is not really relevant to most incidents, but best to follow safety guidelines.

Can you try to get the actual weight of the trailer? GVWR is the maximum but more than the actual.

Consider switching from 5th wheel to gooseneck. I believe there is a lot of weight and space in the bed to be gained.

Most reactions

Back