Downloaded update, then dead battery

TX_Critter

Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with the latest truck update? It installed just fine on 9/16, I go out to start the truck on 9/19 and it won’t even boot up the screen intro the battery is so dead.

Currently on a charger and will try to use a jump box to get it going later this evening, taking it in to the dealership to see if they can figure it out on Monday…

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues?

Truck is a 22 Refresh with the 3.0 duramax.

It happened to me on my 23 AT4X a few months ago. I have posted about it here several times. I think it is a fairly common occurance with OTA updates. Every time I see an OTA update, it scares me.

A few weeks back, I had OTA updates hitting me every day for 4 or 5 days. I followed the onscreen instructions, and luckily every morning my truck started just fine. But then the infotainment screen would tell me an OTA was downloading again. I figured the update was not taking, so it kept trying again for 4 or 5 days. It finally stopped doing that so I assume the update finally installed properly, but I felt like I could have been stranded somewhere (I live in MT) far from a dealership because a failed update bricked my truck again.

I think I have a possible culprit, looks like my Banks iDash is not shutting down properly after this latest update…. Maybe something changed with the signal coming from the OBD port, I’ll contact Banks to see if they have heard of this before.

Talked to the product technical support people at Banks and I think we figured it out. Seems like something in the last update changed the signal from the OBD port at shutdown and the iDash needed to relearn that trigger.

Simple as re-selecting the vehicle in the iDash and now it is working as expected, pretty happy the fix was this easy.

For what it’s worth, I had this EXACT same issue with my ‘22 refresh Duramax a couple weeks ago. Truck said there was an update. Tried a couple times to have it do it. Update would fail, and the radio would still be on and act weird. The 3rd time I tried, I started the update and 18 hours later, wanted to go somewhere, truck was completely dead. Jumped it, drove to the dealer, they replaced the battery under warranty. I think there was an issue with the OTA update that wouldn’t allow the radio module (of the vehicle ECM) to go to sleep which eventually drained the battery. Ironically, the dead battery forced a hard reboot of the ECM and, after the battery was replaced, fixed the issue. I’ve since done one OTA update without issue.

I just left GMC of Attleboro MA service dept. for my blank instrument cluster that died right after a warning. There was a guy on the phone, 2023 Sierra 1500, dead battery, no dash lights trying to figure out how to get the truck of park to be towed. Geez. I was there on day 9!!!! They can't get the replacement dash cluster to update the software. Dash boots up and thinks it is a Chevy Elevation! 9 days these guys suck.

Attachments

• IMG_20230914_111026.jpg
    IMG_20230914_111026.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20230914_111033.jpg
    IMG_20230914_111033.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
You can call me old school but I will not allow any OTA updates on my 22 3.0 Refresh and it is running just fine. ;)

Husband did the update last Friday on my '23 Yukon AT4 and 2 days later (Sunday) the A/C stopped working on the drivers side, and now today no A/C working at all. Any suggestions to get this back working...its 105 degrees today. Not happy!

Back