Worth it? Would you do it again?

Has your AT4 3.0 needed unscheduled repairs?

• Total voters

Rroku

Reaction score
I'm overall a Toyota guy, but not impressed with the new Tundra. That has new looking at the F150 3.5 Ecoboost vs the AT4 3.0 babyMax.

Been reading as much as I can on the AT4 3.0 and sounds like though some issues have been resolved, others are still there. There's also quite a few threads about issues here. The 1500 in general, and the Duramax specifically.

I know a lot of the time you only hear about the complaints, so it doesn't surprise me to read about issues and ongoing issues. But how prevalent are they?

Is this a good truck or will it just be in the shop? Have you had issues with yours?

Thanks

I don’t have the 3.0, so I cannot speak directly for it from a personal standpoint - but I’ve had my truck (6.2L) for 13 months, and just crossed over 11K miles yesterday. The only issue I’ve had with mine is the infotainment system likes to mute itself 2-3 times in the first couple minutes of turning the truck on for 1-2 seconds each time. I do want to make an appointment to have my transmission checked out, because it has started to randomly “clunk” when I put it into Park. Used to be that I’d put it into P and you couldn’t hear or feel any movement in the transmission - and my wife has a 2023 Tahoe with the same exact engine and trans, and it’s silent/motionless when going into P… but now my truck makes a noticeable noise and has a thud motion when I put it into P.

I’m on the GMC Sierra forum on Reddit all the time, and there’s a ton of 3.0 owners on there, and I’ve seen basically nothing but praise regarding that engine. I have seen a person claiming to be a GM tech say they have electrical issues because they “put 12 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag” but it doesn’t appear to be anyone I’ve seen complaining about electrical issues.

I have a 22R AT4 CC with the LM2, it had one check engine light so far. Took it in and the dealer replaced the coolant pump to the intercooler and I had it back 3 hours later.
It has had several OTA attempts to update which I have ignored and it runs just fine so far.(y)

I literally went through a buyback on my first 22 refresh LM2 truck (after 6 attempts to fix) and I worked with the dealer to get another one. The small diesel seems like the perfect engine for this truck. Second truck had the same codes as the first (emissions stuff) but after a couple of attempts the final solution so far was a calibration update. Been great ever since. Now just over 12,000 miles.

I’d do it again. No question.

I'm overall a Toyota guy, but not impressed with the new Tundra. That has new looking at the F150 3.5 Ecoboost vs the AT4 3.0 babyMax.

Been reading as much as I can on the AT4 3.0 and sounds like though some issues have been resolved, others are still there. There's also quite a few threads about issues here. The 1500 in general, and the Duramax specifically.

I know a lot of the time you only hear about the complaints, so it doesn't surprise me to read about issues and ongoing issues. But how prevalent are they?

Is this a good truck or will it just be in the shop? Have you had issues with yours?

Thanks
We have a 2022 AT4 3.0 best truck I have ever had 10,000 miles so far LM2

Anyone have a whine or whistle in the Gas 6.6L 2500 AT4? Dealer doesn't know what it is.
Also my front bumper is crooked by about 1in from left to right side, didn't notice it until I washed it. Anyone else see this?

I have had a 2023 for about 6 months and 11k miles and no issues so far. Been through 2 oil changes and my overall MPG is at 23.8 and loving it so far.

I got a 2023 1500 AT4 with the 3.0L LZ0 engine, just crossed 26,000miles and the only issue I've had is something kicked up and knocked the sheet metal heat deflector over the exhaust off. Went to the dealer to see if they could replace it, he said the part was about 6 months out so he just took it off. Would definitely do it again, love the truck, still get comments on how good it looks all the time.

Thanks
I have the 3.0L w/ Carbon Pro bed. First, I rally like the truck. But…there are a lot of after market accessories that are not compatible with the Carbon Pro bed. Second, it’s been in the shop for 2 of the 5 months I’ve owned it. Two issues. 1 was a main wiring harness in the 4WD co troller and this latest issue is apparently related to the starter. They fired the service manager at my dealer and the new guy found the part in a day. So not sure if these problems are going to turn into long term issues yet. 5k miles on it. Hoping to get it back before Christmas.

Thanks
I've got an 2023 1500 at4 3.0 just put 18k on it and really haven't had any problems with it.I do alot of traveling with my job.Only issue I had was the electronic parking brake module went bad.But the issue was repaired under warranty.But with all the technology in every vehicle there's bound to be some issues.i get almost 24mpg hywy in the areas I travel ms,texas,la. Towing I have a 17' enclosed trailer I get 13mpg, a real wind catcher but the 3.0 has the power to pull it, nice acceleration, and braking ability especially with the engine brake on(Tow Haul)As for other people's issues with the 3.0 mostly I would think it depends on driving habits,maintenance,region they live, (cold weather states) ect..never truly know the root causes of those issues. But all in all its a very well built truck everyone has their own preferences.

Thanks
I am coming from 30 years of tacomas and tundras. I was waiting for the new gen of Tundras but it was a let down. Trim, mpg, motor, and styling was subpar. I was interested in Chevy/gmc for this motor which had significant improvements over the previous 3.0. I have had no problems at over 10k miles. The AT4 trim is far better than reviews give it credit and less tacky than most other us manufacturers truck trims ( think longhorn, etc.). I needed something thatcould tow well and be a daily driver with off road capability. My mpg is almost twice what my 5.7 tundra provided. It won’t beat a mustang off the the line like the tundra but that is not what this motor is for.

I came from a long line of Titans my last was a 2016 Nissan XD platnium diesel.loved the truck(trim package, technology) But the motor was crap for a cummins 5.0. Acceleration sucked, braking was ok, towing was good but mpg blow weather towing or not but i lived in a mountainous area at the time.. I see your point though. I personally love the GMC 1500 At4 with the 3.0. It does everything I need it to do and more.Id recommend one but it's all about preference . Good luck in your search for Your perfect truck.Have you test drove the At4 /3.0 yet?

Yes, 9/10 would buy again!
I picked up my 2024 AT4 (Carbon Pro, LZ0, Technology, Premium) on Halloween and I'm so far super impressed. I'm getting between 17.5MPG (towing a car on Interstate) to 24MPG (Interstates). I have not had my first oil change yet.
Cons:
- The seats could be a little more plush for longer drives. I came from a Ford Explorer Sport, and those seats were comfortable. I felt the Tundra seats seemed very non-plush as well when I test drove.
- As stated, Carbon Pro "upgrade" limits your accessories. My guess is this will adjust over time.
- (Sort of a con) I make sure to include diesel additives at least every other fill up. Diesel can be watery if you're not careful.
- Diesel pricing can be cumbersome. I try to use a lot of "perks" (T-Mobile, Grocery Programs, etc.). I'm averaging $68.73 per fillup. I really don't think that's so bad with a 24 gallon tank.
- If you don't purchase the continuous services of the entertainment system, it's a bit annoying that I keep having to dismiss messages stating I don't have some specific service. But, at least they're not charging me for something I really don't want.

Pros (so many):
- MPG! I'm blown away from how a truck can get > 17MPG no matter how hard you drive it. I was getting 32MPG in Denver, which blew me away.
- Along with MPG the truck is going about 550 miles per tank. Maybe this isn't so fantastic for some owners, but for a truck to be able to drive about 10 hours without stopping, this is fantastic to me.
- Power is really good. It's not a big beafy sounding V8 or 6.0L Diesel, but it has a lot of get up and go at any speed.
- My family of 5 it is super comfortable. Plenty of room.
- Agility while being solid. The truck seems very agile. I think the CarbonPro drops like 300lbs (seems high), but it seems like a very agile truck. At the same time when you close the doors it's a very solid vacuum sound, like it's built very well. I didn't get this feeling from the F-250 Tremor I almost purchased.
- Speakers are 7/10. Good enough. I'm a bit of an audiophile and may play with this later.
- Entertainment center screen is beautiful.
- Surround cameras are so cool. You can look around 360 degrees. Also, when the truck is towing, and you put on your turn signal it will show you what's on the side of the truck that you want to turn in case a vehicle is there.
- Multi-pro tailgate is what you expect, very practical. I have the Multipro audio system...meh. Not super impressed. If you get a trailer hitch, look into the B&W or Gen-Y, they exclusively have drop hitches that fold out of the way of the Multi-Pro Tailgate. Also, pro tip, you can lock the top of the tailgate so it won't drop onto a static hitch. You hold the primary tailgate button for 7 seconds and it will lock that top part.

Attachments

• 1500 AT4 MPG.jpg
    1500 AT4 MPG.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 61
Yes, 9/10 would buy again!
I picked up my 2024 AT4 (Carbon Pro, LZ0, Technology, Premium) on Halloween and I'm so far super impressed. I'm getting between 17.5MPG (towing a car on Interstate) to 24MPG (Interstates). I have not had my first oil change yet.
Cons:
- The seats could be a little more plush for longer drives. I came from a Ford Explorer Sport, and those seats were comfortable. I felt the Tundra seats seemed very non-plush as well when I test drove.
- As stated, Carbon Pro "upgrade" limits your accessories. My guess is this will adjust over time.
- (Sort of a con) I make sure to include diesel additives at least every other fill up. Diesel can be watery if you're not careful.
- Diesel pricing can be cumbersome. I try to use a lot of "perks" (T-Mobile, Grocery Programs, etc.). I'm averaging $68.73 per fillup. I really don't think that's so bad with a 24 gallon tank.
- If you don't purchase the continuous services of the entertainment system, it's a bit annoying that I keep having to dismiss messages stating I don't have some specific service. But, at least they're not charging me for something I really don't want.

Pros (so many):
- MPG! I'm blown away from how a truck can get > 17MPG no matter how hard you drive it. I was getting 32MPG in Denver, which blew me away.
- Along with MPG the truck is going about 550 miles per tank. Maybe this isn't so fantastic for some owners, but for a truck to be able to drive about 10 hours without stopping, this is fantastic to me.
- Power is really good. It's not a big beafy sounding V8 or 6.0L Diesel, but it has a lot of get up and go at any speed.
- My family of 5 it is super comfortable. Plenty of room.
- Agility while being solid. The truck seems very agile. I think the CarbonPro drops like 300lbs (seems high), but it seems like a very agile truck. At the same time when you close the doors it's a very solid vacuum sound, like it's built very well. I didn't get this feeling from the F-250 Tremor I almost purchased.
- Speakers are 7/10. Good enough. I'm a bit of an audiophile and may play with this later.
- Entertainment center screen is beautiful.
- Surround cameras are so cool. You can look around 360 degrees. Also, when the truck is towing, and you put on your turn signal it will show you what's on the side of the truck that you want to turn in case a vehicle is there.
- Multi-pro tailgate is what you expect, very practical. I have the Multipro audio system...meh. Not super impressed. If you get a trailer hitch, look into the B&W or Gen-Y, they exclusively have drop hitches that fold out of the way of the Multi-Pro Tailgate. Also, pro tip, you can lock the top of the tailgate so it won't drop onto a static hitch. You hold the primary tailgate button for 7 seconds and it will lock that top part.
I like the fact I can save all my trailers I hook up to( trailer gross weight,tire pressures and can add extra cameras to the trailer)and the trailer light test is awesome.

Anyone have a whine or whistle in the Gas 6.6L 2500 AT4? Dealer doesn't know what it is.
Also my front bumper is crooked by about 1in from left to right side, didn't notice it until I washed it. Anyone else see this?
Maybe you should create a post related to that concern. OP is asking about satisfaction with a 1500 3.0.

Most reactions

Back