What's new

Why no love for the 5.3?

Steve M

Reaction score
I see all sorts of love for the 3.0, and the 6.2. The 6.2, I get. the 3.0, I ran from, and seeing threads on here, I am kind of glad I did. I have the 5.3, and I am more than happy with it. This is my 3rd GM truck in a row with a 5.3, 2nd eco-tech, and I have no complaints. I do not tow, nor use it for work, never have. However, I do load them up from time to time, and yet to have a complaint. The factory tune is terrible, but I plan to do to this truck just like my last two. A cold air intake, a tuner, and cut that restrictive exhaust off. That 1k investment does wake it up quite a bit, and really brings out an animal you didn't know was hiding. Will it out torque a 6.2, or the diesel? Hell no. But the 5.3 has a lot of potential.

Andystoy AT4

Reaction score
The 5.3 is a fine engine for those who don't need the 6.2l and are unsure of what the 3.0 diesel has for benefits.:)

Rle312

Reaction score
The 5.3 has the same gas mileage as the 6.2, so not sure why one would go with the 5.3. I went with the 3.0 for the power and MPG. Averaging 22 MPG.

Cabin4

Reaction score
3.0 with no regrets or any problems. I love this motor and will never go back to gas in a 1/2 ton if I can avoid it. I never went further with the Ram Eco or the Ford. Talk about problems........read those. It's no wonder Ram and Ford dropped those motors from the lineup. As a point, if I was to go with a 3/4 or 1 ton, I'm likely not going with the Duramax. I would mostly likely go Cummins. There's no comparison other than name of the 3.0 to the larger Duramax v8.

Riverdog

Reaction score
I've had a dozen trucks with the 5.3L and love that motor. But....I'm not trading as often as I used to....and I was afraid that this might be my last truck purchase before they outlaw gasoline in NY. So I went with the 6.2L. Still love the 5.3 though. I used to love diesels in my towing rigs but once they started with the emissions crap I lost my taste for them. RIP LBZ