Why is Max Towing Capacity 2019 AT4 so low?

jmorr273

Reaction score
New to the Forum. I have a 2019 AT4 with the 6.2 engine. Does anyone know why the Max towing capacity is so low on this truck? Suggestions to increase it safely? I am looking at buying a toy hauler travel trailer. I am staying under 1200 GVW but that appears to much for the truck not the engine. Any advice would be appreciated.

Any off-road biased truck will typically have a lower than normal towing capacity due to softer suspension and the intended use. Ex. The Power Wagon can only tow just over 10k lbs, yet it's a 3/4 Ton truck. The higher capacities are always found on the lower trim levels, usually 2wd models. Once you add 4wd and more options, the capacity goes down. I've been looking at toy haulers myself and to be honest, I'm just considering trading in my AT4 for a 3/4 Ton.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that. Is there any consideration to add some kind of over load like air bags or super springs? I was also considering upgrading the shocks to Bilstein 5160 like it sounds most do that have the AT4. Hoping to beef up the suspension a little and get by with a weight distribution hitch. Most of the toy haulers I am looking at are just over my tongue weight and less that a 1000 over max towing. I just like my AT4 and 6.2L so well I hate to trade it. But want to be safe.

I did have airbags but they were way too stiff for me unloaded. I also replaced the ranchos with 5160s in the rear and 6112s in the front. They handle loads a lot better but that doesn't increase the capacity.

Lower payload. Offroad stuff reduces payload. So does it being a higher trim. As does options. Softer suspension is also a factor like others mentioned. If you are really looking to get a toy hauler you might want to upgrade to a 2500/3500 AT4. Then you should be fine! And I dont know what your budget is, but check out ATC toy haulers.

Most reactions

Back