Who has a solution for mounting bed canopy/cap on a Carbon Pro bed?

1RagingApe

Reaction score
So first off, I love my 2021 AT4 Duramax Carbon Pro. By far the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. It has great potential to build into a Overlanding vehicle, which is one of the reason I chose it. Unfortunately, due to the shape of the Carbon Pros bed, the conventual way of using clamps under the sill of bed rails does not work.

Has anyone mounted a bed canopy/cap to a Carbon Pro? If so how?

I’m working this out currently, had the dealership install the lomax trifold hardcover tonneau. Purchased a bestop supertop and ordered extra clamps and drilled them to work with the tonneau clamps/clamp locations. I haven’t installed it yet but if it works and doesn’t fly off at 75mph I’ll let you know!

I had the dealer install a trifold hardcover tonneau. Looks like they peeled back the bed rail coverings, cut small rectangular holes and put threaded metal rectangular pieces (actual name escapes me arm) so using that I nodded the clamps for the softopper and put it on yesterday… will probably require some tweaking or more modifications to make sure it’s anchored securely, but that’s my solution so far.

Attachments

• DE39E862-A203-4A59-9216-E8B21A706078.jpeg
    DE39E862-A203-4A59-9216-E8B21A706078.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 008BC295-8BA6-4BAE-A144-14CB284358C8.jpeg
    008BC295-8BA6-4BAE-A144-14CB284358C8.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 280
  • D32D49E4-3BEC-4203-99A4-5892A1EB116B.jpeg
    D32D49E4-3BEC-4203-99A4-5892A1EB116B.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 277
  • BCCC3D00-AAE8-4511-8928-38176048885D.jpeg
    BCCC3D00-AAE8-4511-8928-38176048885D.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 263
  • F12D895E-4286-4A69-874D-E7427C8D4EA9.jpeg
    F12D895E-4286-4A69-874D-E7427C8D4EA9.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 268
I had the dealer install a trifold hardcover tonneau. Looks like they peeled back the bed rail coverings, cut small rectangular holes and put threaded metal rectangular pieces (actual name escapes me arm) so using that I nodded the clamps for the softopper and put it on yesterday… will probably require some tweaking or more modifications to make sure it’s anchored securely, but that’s my solution so far.

How is this holding up? I am looking at doing the same thing and getting the softtopper on a CarbonPro bed. Any issues when driving on interstates and highway speeds?

thanks.

How is this holding up? I am looking at doing the same thing and getting the softtopper on a CarbonPro bed. Any issues when driving on interstates and highway speeds?

thanks.
Ya it shook a little but nothing came loose and gas mileage wasn’t affected. I would do it bc it’s easy to switch out tonneau/canopy.

Ya it shook a little but nothing came loose and gas mileage wasn’t affected. I would do it bc it’s easy to switch out tonneau/canopy.
I'm sure all soft toppers shake a little bit whether you mount them to a regular bed or carbon bed.

thanks for the info...looking for a soft topper now.

I appreciate you solving this (unlike the manufacturers). Has everything been holding up? I have your same situation with a Tonneau Cover. Just wanted to confirm your recommendations to get this completed.
-Buy additional brackets with purchase of topper.
--Did you buy additional bolts or did you use the existing bolts from the tonneau?
--Looks like you drilled a clearance hole on the backside of the topper brackets?
-Anything else to think about? Has the top been holding strong?
Thanks!
-Jon

I appreciate you solving this (unlike the manufacturers). Has everything been holding up? I have your same situation with a Tonneau Cover. Just wanted to confirm your recommendations to get this completed.
-Buy additional brackets with purchase of topper.
--Did you buy additional bolts or did you use the existing bolts from the tonneau?
--Looks like you drilled a clearance hole on the backside of the topper brackets?
-Anything else to think about? Has the top been holding strong?
Thanks!
-Jon
Hey Jon! Sorry for the late reply, yes that is exactly what I did, I looked up the strength of the tonneau bolts and if you have 4/side it’s fine. Drove over 3hrs home for thanksgiving with my hound and Great Dane in the back, they were fine, and it held up great, even in strong wind going 75mph. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me.
-CN

So just bought a slightly used 2021 1500 AT4 w/ the carbon pro package. I always have a canopy on my truck. It was never disclosed to me and I never thought to ask about mounting a canopy to my bed. Because you can mount a canopy to every bed on the market. However the carbon beds are slanted and there is no flat surface to put the C clamps to secure the canopy. I have called a LEER/ snugtop installer and they called their reps and they have no "approved" fix for this. I have also called an ARE dealer who called their rep and they have no "approved" fix. Then I called SmartCap they sent me pictures of a customer that had cut holes for the clamps to fit through but stated this was the customers doing and not an approved method. I am now contacting dealerships to figure out what GMCs fix is. I can not imagine that they built the only bed in the world that you can not attach a canopy to.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue or any approved fix? It came with a tri fold but I need the canopy for dogs.

I have done similar by reaching out to everyone I can think of. GMC dealerships are no help, GMC customer service is no help, I filed a complaint that was supposed to have been escalated and never heard back from anyone. Consumers buy a truck and don’t think there will be limitations such as this. I was considering a slide in camper and to my surprise one day while looking through my glove box I see a sticker that reads, manufacturer does not recommend putting a slide in camper in the Carbon Pro truck bed. So my next step has been contacting lawyers to see if a class action lawsuit is considerable. In my opinion, consumers who buy this truck with the Carbon Pro bed are deceived. None of these issues are mentioned during the purchase process and it’s not on any of the paperwork. I have a 2023, 1500 AT4

I have done similar by reaching out to everyone I can think of. GMC dealerships are no help, GMC customer service is no help, I filed a complaint that was supposed to have been escalated and never heard back from anyone. Consumers buy a truck and don’t think there will be limitations such as this. I was considering a slide in camper and to my surprise one day while looking through my glove box I see a sticker that reads, manufacturer does not recommend putting a slide in camper in the Carbon Pro truck bed. So my next step has been contacting lawyers to see if a class action lawsuit is considerable. In my opinion, consumers who buy this truck with the Carbon Pro bed are deceived. None of these issues are mentioned during the purchase process and it’s not on any of the paperwork. I have a 2023, 1500 AT4
Please let me know if you find out anything.this sure is frustrating.

So just bought a slightly used 2021 1500 AT4 w/ the carbon pro package. I always have a canopy on my truck. It was never disclosed to me and I never thought to ask about mounting a canopy to my bed. Because you can mount a canopy to every bed on the market. However the carbon beds are slanted and there is no flat surface to put the C clamps to secure the canopy. I have called a LEER/ snugtop installer and they called their reps and they have no "approved" fix for this. I have also called an ARE dealer who called their rep and they have no "approved" fix. Then I called SmartCap they sent me pictures of a customer that had cut holes for the clamps to fit through but stated this was the customers doing and not an approved method. I am now contacting dealerships to figure out what GMCs fix is. I can not imagine that they built the only bed in the world that you can not attach a canopy to.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue or any approved fix? It came with a tri fold but I need the canopy for dogs.

Would you mind sharing the photos from ARE dealership? I am thinking of getting one and most online pages about it are mentioning the same thing.

Important Compatibility Notes: Not compatible with RAM BOX. Chevy/GMC CarbonPro Beds require modification to properly secure rail clamps. 2024+ Ranger requires Ford Load Force Reinforcement Brackets (aka J-Braces) for installation.

Most reactions

Back