Truck Bed Power question

That's what it seem like unfortunately. I guess I will have to keep doing what I've been doing in the past. Thanks for the info

That's what it seem like unfortunately. I guess I will have to keep doing what I've been doing in the past. Thanks for the info
I doubt it would even run it. The GM inverters are only 200w= can’t run much more than battery chargers for computers and such.

I doubt it would even run it. The GM inverters are only 200w= can’t run much more than battery chargers for computers and such.

I thought they were 450, but know they are not large enough.

I would use mine quite a bit on the jobsite if it had a bigger inverter. Have wondered if there is a way to install a bigger inverter for these trucks.

Have wondered if there is a way to install a bigger inverter for these trucks.
I wonder the same.

I would like to get something like 2k which would put out close to 20 watts. Or even 1200 would get you to 10 watts and would start being useful. I would bet that one would have to change out all the wiring to the plugs however to handle that many amps.

if anyone has done anything like this, please post.

I wonder the same.

I would like to get something like 2k which would put out close to 20 watts. Or even 1200 would get you to 10 watts and would start being useful. I would bet that one would have to change out all the wiring to the plugs however to handle that many amps.

if anyone has done anything like this, please post.

As a contractor, this would be more than handy. One appeal the Ford Ecoboost has is a real good power source in the bed. I think since the ecoboost is a hybrid, it has much larger/better battery storage so it is not an apples to apples comparisons. I guarantee I would use a stronger in-bed plug fairly often enough if GM had put one that was at least 1000 or 1200. 2000 would run a lot of course.

I bet you are right, it would take a bunch of new wiring, etc. I don't even know where the inverter is located on these trucks (obvious place is up in the engine compartment by the battery somewhere but just a guess), but if it was as easy as just putting in a stronger inverter with the existing wiring you'd think someone would have done that by now and it would have been posted on a forum like this.

Probably easier to hook up a new, separate inverter to the battery and wire it back with it's own wiring to a separate plug you'd have to install yourself. It is an oversight that GM didn't think to add a stronger inverter. I do think I read it is a 450, I think it says it on the plug in the bed, but right now it is negative 26 out here in Montana and my truck is currently outside... not gonna go look right now lol. I've already pulled 3 quite stuck people out of 2+ feet of snow this weekend with my truck... done with being outside for tonight.

As a contractor, this would be more than handy. One appeal the Ford Ecoboost has is a real good power source in the bed. I think since the ecoboost is a hybrid, it has much larger/better battery storage so it is not an apples to apples comparisons. I guarantee I would use a stronger in-bed plug fairly often enough if GM had put one that was at least 1000 or 1200. 2000 would run a lot of course.

I bet you are right, it would take a bunch of new wiring, etc. I don't even know where the inverter is located on these trucks (obvious place is up in the engine compartment by the battery somewhere but just a guess), but if it was as easy as just putting in a stronger inverter with the existing wiring you'd think someone would have done that by now and it would have been posted on a forum like this.

Probably easier to hook up a new, separate inverter to the battery and wire it back with its own wiring to a separate plug you'd have to install yourself. It is an oversight that GM didn't think to add a stronger inverter. I do think I read it is a 450, I think it says it on the plug in the bed, but right now it is negative 26 out here in Montana and my truck is currently outside... not gonna go look right now lol. I've already pulled 3 quite stuck people out of 2+ feet of snow this weekend with my truck... done with being outside for tonight.
1 outlet can handle 400watts and both outlets share 400watts.

It’s easier to wire in your own larger inverter. But you could reuse the factory bed outlet if you wanted. There’s nothing special about a 120 outlet.

pretty sure the inverter is behind the back seats. so it might take re-wiring to the inverter itself and to all(or at least the bed) outlet to take advantage of the increased current.

It’s easier to wire in your own larger inverter. But you could reuse the factory bed outlet if you wanted. There’s nothing special about a 120 outlet.
correct, the outlet isn't anything special, but the gauge of the wire to carry 5 amps vs 10 or 20 amps is vastly different

geez...i must have been drunk when i wrote my post from 1/29....please subsitute "20 watts" and"10 watts" with 20 amps and 10 amps respectively

pretty sure the inverter is behind the back seats. so it might take re-wiring to the inverter itself and to all(or at least the bed) outlet to take advantage of the increased current.

correct, the outlet isn't anything special, but the gauge of the wire to carry 5 amps vs 10 or 20 amps is vastly different

This is good info from both of you, thanks.

I will look for the factory inverter and see if there is a possible way to wire a bigger one in.

I wouldn't be surprised if heavier gauge wiring would be needed though. Just have to see what they installed from the factory. This would probably be a project I tackle at a later date. But an interesting project, though. Would be great to find an easy enough way to increase the power to that rear bed outlet.

You could use the bed power to recharge a lithium battery pack that can put out more watts if the recharge math works out for you. So for example if you're driving 2h you could charge enough to pull 900W for 1h before you'd need to charge the battery again.

This is good info from both of you, thanks.

I will look for the factory inverter and see if there is a possible way to wire a bigger one in.

I wouldn't be surprised if heavier gauge wiring would be needed though. Just have to see what they installed from the factory. This would probably be a project I tackle at a later date. But an interesting project, though. Would be great to find an easy enough way to increase the power to that rear bed outlet.
I am currently researching the ability to upgrade the factory inverter to a 2000 watt replacement. Were you able to find any information on a potential upgrade? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am currently researching the ability to upgrade the factory inverter to a 2000 watt replacement. Were you able to find any information on a potential upgrade? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I haven't looked into it, unfortunately. Been absolutely swamped with jobs (am a contractor), haven't gotten the chance/time to look into it. If someone does though, I hope they post about it ITT!

You could use the bed power to recharge a lithium battery pack that can put out more watts if the recharge math works out for you. So for example if you're driving 2h you could charge enough to pull 900W for 1h before you'd need to charge the battery again.
I won’t be any help on this… just replying to give everyone a laugh. My wife is Philippino and her parents live with us- go where we go. Well, they HAVE to have rice at least 2 meals a day. I bought a small (4 cup) rice cooker and it works fine!! This way, we start the rice cooking and it’s ready in 30 minutes driving. 🤣

Most reactions

Back