• GVWR: 7000
  • GCWR: 15000
  • RGAWR: 3800
  • CURB: 5515
  • MAX PAYLOAD: 1485

TRAILER
  • COVENTIONAL TWR: 9200
  • MAX TONGUE WEIGHT: 920

We currently have a Forest River Gray Wolf 23DBH. I purchased the truck with the intent on having much more towing capacity than I needed and to also account for grade as the Grey Wolf's UVW is 5326 with a tongue weight of 613.

We're looking at a Forest River Vibe 26DB, it has a UVW of 6867 lbs (1541 lbs more than the Grey Wolf) and a tongue weight of 803 lbs (190 lbs more than the Grey Wolf). I keep my tanks on the trailer 1/3 full when towing and that equates to about 393 lbs of liquid (I don't have to keep the tanks full). If I take the total conventional trailer towing capacity of 9200 lbs, subtract 393 lbs for the liquids, that leaves me with 1940 lbs before I'm at 9200 lbs. I believe we probably have less than 1000 lbs of stuff on the trailer when towing, but let's assume it's 1000 lbs, that's 940 lbs before I hit the max of 9200 lbs.

So here's the question. Based on the above, assuming I'm looking at this correctly and my math is correct, I'm not 100% confident that my truck can tow this new trailer we're looking into without issue, do I have enough truck?

In addition to the above we will also have 3 kayaks on the truck, not every time, but on occasion.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have a problem. I think the rated towing capacities on these trucks are lower than they should be.
I am a contractor, have towed heavy trailers for 25 years with half ton trucks. I don't have the trailer or skid steers anymore, but I had a 20' flat bed with two 7500 lb axles. When I loaded it up with my big skid steer (had one a little smaller too), all the various skid steer attachments, etc, the trailer had to weigh 12K lbs at least. I was pulling this 20 years ago with a half ton, no problem.

I just traded off my 2020 at4 with the 3.0 diesel. I pulled my enclosed 16' job trailer, which is loaded to the gills inside (I mean packed tight so lots of added weight) and also has 6 long extension ladders, a 16' aluminum plank and misc up on top on the ladder racks. I think this has to weigh 7k lbs when it is loaded up like this. I have had this setup since 2010, pulled it with a 2008 silverado, 2011 silverado, 2014 sierra and the 2020 AT4 Sierra. Never a problem with any of them. On the hwy/interstate, the biggest issue is not weight, but wind resistance with a tall enclosed trailer and the stacked ladder rack on top. I never had an issue on the hwy however, just that the wind resistance cut into fuel mileage, even on the diesel.

I have pulled several bigger trailers with 10K+ loads (skid steers, mini excavators, etc) in the past year with my 2020 AT4 and never had an issue either. Pulled them easily.

I now have a 2023 AT4X with the 6.2 ltr. It pulls my job trailer just fine. Plenty of power. On my 2020 AT4 I had lift bags on the back to help with any squat from the trailer. I don't have lift bags on the 2023 yet, as I don't want to mess with the very nice ride this truck has with these new shocks they put on the AT4X. However, I did notice a lot more squat on this truck than on my 2020 AT4, so I may still get air bags in back and just not have quite as nice a ride. I am considering an active suspension leaf spring helper kit as an alternative to the rear air bags, as that won't negatively effect the ride as much as rear air helper bags, but the active suspension kit is kinda pricey at $539 before installation. I believe I paid $399 installed (don't quote me on that it's been 3 years since I had that installed) on the rear air bags on my 2020 AT4. The rear air bags did help a lot though.

I think the truck you have is more than capable power wise and size wise for your needs. You may consider rear air bags as rear squat is probably your main issue. Oh, and lots of fill ups as you'll be lucky to get 5 to 7 mpg going down the hwy pulling a big trailer. Even with my 2020 AT4 diesel I would be lucky to get 10 MPG going down the interstate here in hilly Montana.

Can and should are two different animals.

ps... do the math with payload... #1485 goes quick when you are taking ~900 pounds off the jump for tongue weight. Now add hitch, passengers., equipment, fuel, kayaks, etc..

ps... do the math with payload... #1485 goes quick when you are taking ~900 pounds off the jump for tongue weight. Now add hitch, passengers., equipment, fuel, kayaks, etc..
^^100% this^^ Can and should and two VERY different things. What will your insurance company say when you get in an accident and they discover that you were towing far beyond what the truck is rated to tow? Or that you were over you max rear axle weight (reducing braking effectiveness for your front wheels) or you were 1000lbs over your max payload? Can you cover the cost of the truck, trailer, and other vehicles involved? What about once you get sued for gross negligence by the other party? That’s why we have insurance right? Too bad, because your insurance company will tell you to pound sand.

Your most limiting weight for towing will almost always be payload. All the manufacturers, magizines, online reviewers, etc spout on-and-on about the max towing weight a truck can pull but it’s one of the least important numbers. Payload, axle weight, and combined weight are probably the most important weights to watch.

I should also ask, are those numbers you using from some web site or from the sticker on the door?

If you load up your tralier to 9200#, you are only left with 285# available after subtracting curb weight off of gcwr.

You NEED to know that you can stop/control the unit in a bad situation. You NEED to know you have a proper weight distribution (air bags don’t do this).

Weight the truck loaded for a trip , weigh the truck unloaded with full fuel, subtract , you will be surprised . Know the numbers and follow the rules; there are probably dogs and/or people in the truck you really like.

R

100% correct. I always see 1/2 tons towing trailers, I was new to the game in 2020 and just assumed that a 1/2 is a 1/2 ton. Then I'd talk to folks about the truck I was getting, would tell them that I'm getting the 6.2 and they would all say...oh yeah, plenty of power to tow. Also just so happens that the 1500 AT4 trim has the lowest or one of the lowest payload capacities and towing capacity. With my current trailer I'm almost at payload capacity without the kayaks.

Those numbers come for the sticker on door.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyones feedback.

Turns out that the current truck and trailer set-up is already pushing it. To everyone's point, I'm already close, if not exceeding my max payload capacity without adding the kayaks. Payload is not something I every thought to take into consideration, but it's definitely on my radar. I understand the towing numbers are based on a mythical truck, driving down a mythical HWY, in ideal environmental conditions. I also understand that the best rule of thumb is the 80/20 rule when it comes to towing because of how companies arrive at the towing capacity.

I really never thought about how insurance would factor into this, makes sense how someone can get sued for gross negligence by the other party. There really is a lot that goes into finding the right combination of truck/trailer. Based on this, we've now discussed our current trailer and have agreed that our current set-up is not ideal. We'll be looking to move to the 24' AT4 2500 diesel. This will pull our current trailer no problem with a lot of towing capacity and payload to spare. It will also allow us to move to a larger trailer, again with a lot of towing capacity and payload to spare now that I know what to look at.

Bjossel - we are gonna talk you into a 3500 duramax dullie before we are done with ya :)

All kidding aside, i think a 2500 (gas or diesel) is a much better fit for that trailer you are looking at.

I'm sure we have all seen the guy who didn't understand payload until it was too late....
1675132175524.jpeg

Bjossel - we are gonna talk you into a 3500 duramax dullie before we are done with ya :)

All kidding aside, i think a 2500 (gas or diesel) is a much better fit for that trailer you are looking at.

I'm sure we have all seen the guy who didn't understand payload until it was too late....
View attachment 2707

LOL...we have a neighbor who has a 3500 Denali Duramax dually...we joke that that's where we'll end up.

I agree...2500 will be a much better fit.

Most reactions

Back