Towing auto trailer and car

jberry906

Reaction score
I own a 2020 AT4 1500 and want to rent a trailer that weighs 2000lbs and tow my Jeep Grand Cherokee that weighs 5000lbs. My truck is rated for 9800 towing but the trailer rental company says I shouldn’t. Can anyone give me some insight on whether I can or cannot tow this trailer/car combination. Thanks in advance.

What motor do you have? Does the trailer have trailer brakes?

If 6.2 or 3.0 and trailer has brakes it will be no problem at all in my opinion.

Edit: Assuming the trailer is properly rated for the weight as well.

I towed my 2006 Jeep Wrangler from Houston to Jacksonville FL with my 2015 GMC no problem. I used a trailer from uhaul. I would not want to tow near towing capacity but you are talking about 7k with a 9.8k rating. What is the problem?

When my daughter moved from AZ to WI for College I towed her Jeep Wrangler behind my 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax.

When the kid at the UHaul dealership entered the information into the computer he told me the 2500 was not rated to tow a car hauler trailer....

He had selected the wrong tow vehicle in the software.

The UHaul trailers use surge brakes instead of electric brakes, if I was repeating a long-distance haul I would rent a trailer from somewhere that has them available.

I would think you will be fine with your 1500 unless the tongue weight and cargo in your truck go over the weight capacity of your truck (not that I haven't exceeded that when I was in my youth but ignorance was bliss).

Most reactions

Back