Subscription options

73Blazer

Reaction score
Hey I'm just curious what I lose when the free subscriptions run out.

I know SM goes away completely. They've been calling me to sign up. I'll wait them out and see what they offer

The wifi and the onstar packages confuse me. As I understand when those run out I have no onstar (which I'm fine with), no wifi, but what else do I lose? Are there any functions on the display that I will lose? I guess gmc navigation goes away? I can just use my phone with Google maps? Do I lose the ability to start my truck with my phone?

Did any of you keep the subscriptions? and what level?

Thanks

I have basic on-star and pay for SXM. I think its $30 a month. Its mostly for the auto start/stop features. I still have maps but maybe not updated? I don’t know I use my phone anyway. IMO it’s expensive for what I use but I need it in these freezing temperatures sometimes.

Auto start/stop remote features may have extended coverage from factory, mine is until 2031 or somewhere there. I did not renew or pay for onstar wifi etc, I use my phone as a hotspot and have everything working smoothly. The truck automatically connectes to my phone hotspot, although it takes a couple of minutes on occasions. Having said that, I'm having a Blackvue Dashcam with wifi/cloud storage, installed next month and I'll add and pay for a T-Mobile sim card ($10/month for 2GB and a little more for more GB) which coupled with the Blackvue 970X Plus dashcam, will also serve as an independent hotspot for the vehicle.

I think when you buy the truck new you get 3 years (minimum) of GMC Connect which is what allows remote features from the app. I don't care about Serius/XM because I always use Pandora and Spotify anyway. I do pay for WiFi service, though, because my kids watch Netflix, etc. on the iPads on road trips. And at $15/mo for unlimited data it's not terrible. OnStar I'm not worried about.

That's a good point. My kids loved having wifi in the truck. It keeps them from fighting so I might pay for that, especially in the summer when we go on longer trips.

I personally enjoy Sirius XM and have it in 2 vehicles. I pay $14.54 mo for both my truck and my wifes car. I really enjoy streaming it through the TV sound bar at home.
When it expires, they'll try to renew for quite a bit more but so far since 2019 I've successfully kept the same price by calling them. This last time, I locked in for 2 years instead of 1

When my subscription ran out, I lost the speed limit sign in the HUD, and the maps. I ended up just calling Onstar, and paying $200 for the year for unlimited. Seems stupid to have all the features, but not be able to use them. GMC should just include it for 3 years like they did in my 2022. I know we paid for it, but include it in the price still.

Yea that would annoy me to know that it showed the speed limit sign ( which I kinda like) and now it doesn't. Kinda wish I never knew it did all the cool stuff. Maybe I'll get it for a few years while it's still new and then cancel it.

When my subscription ran out, I lost the speed limit sign in the HUD, and the maps. I ended up just calling Onstar, and paying $200 for the year for unlimited. Seems stupid to have all the features, but not be able to use them. GMC should just include it for 3 years like they did in my 2022. I know we paid for it, but include it in the price still.
As I stated earlier, the speed limit signs come on when using you phone as a hotspot.

It's really aggravating that you lose every single built in Google feature. If you want to make a phone call via the button on the steering wheel, you have to press and hold. If you want to read a text message that you received, make sure you're on the android auto/car play screen or it won't read it. The navigation I can live with but losing the speed limit is also annoying.

Auto start/stop remote features may have extended coverage from factory, mine is until 2031 or somewhere there. I did not renew or pay for onstar wifi etc, I use my phone as a hotspot and have everything working smoothly. The truck automatically connectes to my phone hotspot, although it takes a couple of minutes on occasions. Having said that, I'm having a Blackvue Dashcam with wifi/cloud storage, installed next month and I'll add and pay for a T-Mobile sim card ($10/month for 2GB and a little more for more GB) which coupled with the Blackvue 970X Plus dashcam, will also serve as an independent hotspot for the vehicle.
I'd be interested in hearing more about the Blackview once you have it installed. Are you using the CM100 as well?

I'd be interested in hearing more about the Blackview once you have it installed. Are you using the CM100 as well?
Blackboxmycar, the installer had an opening yesterday and they installed the Blackview 970X-2CH LTE Plus (No CM100, it has built in LTE) and the PowerCell 8 7500mAh Dash Cam Battery Pack; took them a couple of hours. From there I headed to my local T-Mobile store and picked up a Sim Card and added it to my existing plan; took a few minutes to figure out how to configure the sim card while I waited in the parking lot and got it to work. I looked at the video recordings later and they are so clear for both front and rear cameras, nothing short of amazing clarity.

Last edited:
Blackboxmycar, the installer had an opening yesterday and they installed the Blackview 970X-2CH LTE Plus and the PowerCell 8 7500mAh Dash Cam Battery Pack; took them a couple of hours. From there I headed to my local T-Mobile store and picked up a Sim Card and added it to my existing plan; took a few minutes to figure out how to configure the sim card while I waited in the parking lot and got it to work. I looked at the video recordings later and they are so clear for both front and rear cameras, nothing short of amazing clarity.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you are happy with the results. If you don't mind me asking what was the motivation for a dash cam?

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you are happy with the results. If you don't mind me asking what was the motivation for a dash cam?
Nothing more than a safety issue to record events due to anyone's fault, this is a huge truck (at least for me). The live view feature adds to safety and for monitoring with front and rear cameras at any time. It's not quite as advanced as a Tesla but the 4K front and 2K rear cameras are definitely better than what Tesla offers.

Most reactions

Back