New W/21 AT4 looking to upgrade to AT4x diesel or HD

Ripdawwg

Reaction score
Hey all
New here. Have a 21 AT4 1500Duramax. Done a few upgrades for towing PPE intercooler, trans pan, trans cooler, rear Diff cover etc. Have a winch bumper and lift kit I haven’t gotten around to installing yet.

I have been on an odyssey to find a front axle Truetrac or selectable locker but cannot find anything ( super frustrated). I work in the drillimg industry in Rockies and Great Basin in extrem remote locations so a front traction differential would be a great and needed upgrade. I contacted Auburn gear and they are willing to start offering a limited slip for our application but may take months/ years to develop. I got spoiled with my ZR2 Colorado!

Considering an AT4 x but wanting to know if a diesel option will be offered.

Attachments

• 0DB048A3-FFD1-484B-87B3-B18BF51E006F.jpeg
    0DB048A3-FFD1-484B-87B3-B18BF51E006F.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 74
Not answering your questions, but where did you find a winching bumper for the diesel?

Paid extra & Had Chassis Unlimited mod their winch bumper a bit for the Duramax radiator.

Attachments

• 0D90FACF-AAAC-431B-9A60-A68283236FAF.jpeg
    0D90FACF-AAAC-431B-9A60-A68283236FAF.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 49
AT4X is only offered in the 6.2. At least so far. Haven't heard if it will be offered in the 3.0 diesel in the future.

I had a 2020 AT4 3.0 diesel that I had to trade off because of emmission systems codes constantly happening, putting the truck into limp mode making it all but unusable. It was at the dealer for a month and they kept trying different sensors all over the truck (engine, exhaust/DEF system) to no avail.. They never could fix it, and they got a new AT4X in and gave me a great deal on trade for my 2020 AT4, and I also got some good discount on the AT4X with an employee pricing code (most dealers won't accept the employee pricing discount on highly sought after vehicles these days), and they also waived all of the pending repair fees piling up on my truck. So I made the trade.

Really liked the 3.0 diesel, but these code throwing issues seem to be common and hard to fix. I couldn't afford to be stuck out of state (was working out of state at the time) any longer with an undriveable truck, so did the trade. the AT4X is a really nice rig and I like the 6.2 so far. Doesn't get the mileage the 3.0 diesel did of course, but the difference in price between gas and diesel, I probably pay less from my pocket book from fuel. At the very worst it is a wash.

AT4X is only offered in the 6.2. At least so far. Haven't heard if it will be offered in the 3.0 diesel in the future.

I had a 2020 AT4 3.0 diesel that I had to trade off because of emmission systems codes constantly happening, putting the truck into limp mode making it all but unusable. It was at the dealer for a month and they kept trying different sensors all over the truck (engine, exhaust/DEF system) to no avail.. They never could fix it, and they got a new AT4X in and gave me a great deal on trade for my 2020 AT4, and I also got some good discount on the AT4X with an employee pricing code (most dealers won't accept the employee pricing discount on highly sought after vehicles these days), and they also waived all of the pending repair fees piling up on my truck. So I made the trade.

Really liked the 3.0 diesel, but these code throwing issues seem to be common and hard to fix. I couldn't afford to be stuck out of state (was working out of state at the time) any longer with an undriveable truck, so did the trade. the AT4X is a really nice rig and I like the 6.2 so far. Doesn't get the mileage the 3.0 diesel did of course, but the difference in price between gas and diesel, I probably pay less from my pocket book from fuel. At the very worst it is a wash.
So far no issues for me with Emissions but I frequently tow or drive 75-85mph out here in BFE so I'm in passive regen most of the time.

So far no issues for me with Emissions but I frequently tow or drive 75-85mph out here in BFE so I'm in passive regen most of the time.

That's good you haven't had the emissions warning problem. I had never had it until early December 2022. I pull a trailer almost daily during the week, often on the hwy/interstate, so would also be in passive regen in those situations. But once the "service emissions system" code pops up, it seems it is very hard to diagnose or fix. Otherwise I really liked my 3.0 diesel, was a great engine with tons of torque and good mileage.

I do like my AT4X and the 6.2 a lot. It is definitely a quicker truck than the 3.0 diesel, but the 3.0 diesel was no dog. Really quick actually. But the 6.2 is definitely more fun to drive without at doubt. Would love to find a way to disable active fuel management, but doesn't seem like anyone makes a tuner that can do that yet for the 2023 GM 6.2 ltr engine. I would definitely buy one if it was available.

Back