New Suspension Suggestions?

rmprokop

Reaction score
Hey there, I currently own a F150 Lariat, but am switching over to a 1500 AT4 as I love what GMC has done inside and out for 2022. And looking forward to a bigger truck.

One question I do have is I've heard that the stock ride can be a bit rough, and it's a good idea to switch out the shocks when I get it. What brand/type would you guys suggest?

Caveat: I honestly only go off-road for work, about once a month, and only for a couple hours at a time. So I would rather have something that is more catered towards smoother road driving. I do know the truck is geared toward off-road, so I'm not expecting a sedan or luxury's ride, but something that my wife won't complain about from the passenger seat going from my F150 Lariat. Also I'm not looking to raise it any further than the 2" that comes stock.

Any suggestions would help!

Thanks

I’d suggest Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners, or Bilstein 6112 up front and 5160 rear. Both are height adjustable up front up to an inch. You can gain an extra inch with a Motofab .5” upper spacer and .5” lower spacer if needed. Then choose an upper aftermarket control arm of your choice. I went with Bilstein upper arms, as they retain the tab for the brake line mount that a lot of others don’t.

I have Bilstein 5100’s all around and love the improvement

Ok great, sounds like I'll go the 5100 route all around.

Is getting a new upper control arm mandatory if I'm not going to raise it above the factory 2"? What extra benefits am I missing out on if I don't?

Ok great, sounds like I'll go the 5100 route all around.

Is getting a new upper control arm mandatory if I'm not going to raise it above the factory 2"? What extra benefits am I missing out on if I don't?
If you leave at factory height- new UCA’s aren’t necessary. In fact, I raised mine about 1” above factory and all angles are still good IMO.

Get some life out of the Ranchos up front before replacing but would suggest 5160’s immediately in the rear which will happen with ride control, comfort and performance. The back end on these tends to bounce/skip and the 5160’s make a world of difference

Hey there, I currently own a F150 Lariat, but am switching over to a 1500 AT4 as I love what GMC has done inside and out for 2022. And looking forward to a bigger truck.

One question I do have is I've heard that the stock ride can be a bit rough, and it's a good idea to switch out the shocks when I get it. What brand/type would you guys suggest?

Caveat: I honestly only go off-road for work, about once a month, and only for a couple hours at a time. So I would rather have something that is more catered towards smoother road driving. I do know the truck is geared toward off-road, so I'm not expecting a sedan or luxury's ride, but something that my wife won't complain about from the passenger seat going from my F150 Lariat. Also I'm not looking to raise it any further than the 2" that comes stock.

Any suggestions would help!

Thanks
Ready lift sst 2 inch lift in front and 1 inch( if you want) in back. I ran bilstein with 35 nitto ridge grapplers. Best looking truck, but I hated the ride quality

smooth ride, protects upper control arms with larger tires.

Ready lift sst 2 inch lift in front and 1 inch( if you want) in back. I ran bilstein with 35 nitto ridge grapplers. Best looking truck, but I hated the ride quality

smooth ride, protects upper control arms with larger tires.
And 10 ply tires. 12 is too stiff unless you have a 2500

Just installed and happy with look/ride

Attachments

• BB89E7C7-3C2B-4A1A-BE3A-179152D724E0.jpeg
    BB89E7C7-3C2B-4A1A-BE3A-179152D724E0.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 159
  • DF3752FD-85B6-4F8B-8553-96F75B1B627D.jpeg
    DF3752FD-85B6-4F8B-8553-96F75B1B627D.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 146
  • B57F48BC-93D8-44F3-9AB0-E5854E6B3599.jpeg
    B57F48BC-93D8-44F3-9AB0-E5854E6B3599.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 173
If I just did the rears with the 5160 where would be a good place to have those put on? And which is the exact part number? I may just do the rears. Thanks!

If I just did the rears with the 5160 where would be a good place to have those put on? And which is the exact part number? I may just do the rears. Thanks!

Rear Bilstein 5160 is 25-309546 for an AT4/Trail Boss. Super easy install. That’s all I have on at the moment as I’m waiting for my 6112 to come in. Definitely a much better ride.

Get some life out of the Ranchos up front before replacing but would suggest 5160’s immediately in the rear which will happen with ride control, comfort and performance. The back end on these tends to bounce/skip and the 5160’s make a world of difference
What are your thoughts on just doing 5160 rears and leaving the stock ranchos in front permanently?

Most reactions

Back