Load E vs D vs P...Questions on ride quality / performance from those who have upgraded stock tires to larger D or E rated

edeering03

Reaction score
I have a 23 LZ0 3.0 coming sometime soonish (maybe..) and have been looking at wheels and tires. I've always had P rated tires, currently have Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my 16 SLT with the 5.3 and 8 speed. I tow a boat for probably 1/3 of my total miles but its not very heavy (4k lbs).

With my new AT4, I'd like to have something that looks more all terrain vs the highway tread I've always had. I'm ok with a little less MPGs but I wanted to hear directly from those who have switched from the P rated all terrains that come on the AT4s to E or D rated tires.

I'm looking at E rated toyo AT3s 285/60r20 or the D rated Falkens 275/60r20.

I understand I don't need E or D based on my description of use..its purely cosmetics. Just don't want to completely ruin the ride quality or throttle response with the added stiffness and weight. My thought is the D rated falkens might be a little less stiff at 8 ply vs 10...but they are even heavier than the larger diameter AT3s. Don't need this to evolve into a which tire is best thread, just let me know what your experience has been with an upgrade to D or E tires.

D rated tires are plenty for a 1500. You’re only talking about a few lbs per tire. The difference you see are the E rated tires for 2500+ trucks are a lot more expensive.
$300 Falken D rated or $415 Toyo E rated.
I doubt you would notice the ride difference between the two. Other than a 2500 rides better than the 1500s on 20” wheels any day of the week.

The Falken has 18/32s of tread depth vs 16.5/32s on the Toyo. deeper tread depth, softer ride, heavier tire. longer wear life.

Last edited:
I will say I have had many sets of Toyo’s, great tires! They ride good, I say that cause the more ply and heavier tire does loose a little ride. I also went to MT’s so I got heavy and aggressive tread. Just sayin I give the brand a thumbs up

I have the Falkens in load D range and they ride perfect. Not as harsh as Load E ply tires.

Falkens are great in snow/rain/dirt, quiet on the highway and overall a better everyday tire for 95% of people.

Plus the load D tires are cheaper and unless you tow heavy or run over rough stuff everyday, Load E tires are way overkill and I have had both.

I have the Falkens in load D range and they ride perfect. Not as harsh as Load E ply tires.

Falkens are great in snow/rain/dirt, quiet on the highway and overall a better everyday tire for 95% of people.

Plus the load D tires are cheaper and unless you tow heavy or run over rough stuff everyday, Load E tires are way overkill and I have had both.
Thanks, thats exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. What powertrain do you have? I'm thinking with the torque'y 3.0L I won' t notice the added weight of the falkens too much even though it is significant over the duratracs that come on the AT4 (+9lb per tire).

Thanks, thats exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. What powertrain do you have? I'm thinking with the torque'y 3.0L I won' t notice the added weight of the falkens too much even though it is significant over the duratracs that come on the AT4 (+9lb per tire).
Are you sure about that tire weight? Goodyear doesn’t publicly post a tire weight. Any website you look at that has a weight per tire for Goodyear is BS. Goodyear said my tires on a stock AT4 HD weighed 40lbs a tire. The next closest tire weight for the same size tire by anyone was 58lbs.

Same here on my 6.2. I highly recommend them. Looked at the E load tires because I wanted a bit bigger tire but the extra cost, added weight (Keep in mind that this is unsprung weight) and risk of harsher right convinced me to stick with the Falkens in D range. They have been great in the Minnesota snow and ice this year.

I have the 6.2, I have noticed no weight difference from the duratracs. MPG went down about 1 MPG/gallon, so not even a big difference at all.

The noise level though is 1000% quieter then those crappy duratracs. No more hum from tires on pavement. LOL.

I have had BFGs, Nittos, Duratracs tires and I would say the Falkens are the my favorite. Haven't tried Toyos but I hear good things about them.

Just had the Falkens load D tires in about 8 inches of snow, and most of the time didn't even need 4WD.

I don't tow so I am not sure how they do with a load, but I would imagine they fine if the Duratracs can take it.

Are you sure about that tire weight? Goodyear doesn’t publicly post a tire weight. Any website you look at that has a weight per tire for Goodyear is BS. Goodyear said my tires on a stock AT4 HD weighed 40lbs a tire. The next closest tire weight for the same size tire by anyone was 58lbs.
Tire rack and discount tire show 50lbs per tire for the duratrac 275/65R18 C range...makes sense to me.

Same here on my 6.2. I highly recommend them. Looked at the E load tires because I wanted a bit bigger tire but the extra cost, added weight (Keep in mind that this is unsprung weight) and risk of harsher right convinced me to stick with the Falkens in D range. They have been great in the Minnesota snow and ice this year.
Great, thanks for sharing your experience with them. Should be good for me in Wisconsin winters as well then.

Tire rack and discount tire show 50lbs per tire for the duratrac 275/65R18 C range...makes sense to me.
I show the Wildpeaks in 275/65/20 at E rating are 64lbs each vs 56lbs in 275/60/20 D rating. It is my understanding that unsprung weight is 10X sprung weight equivalent. So in this scenario its like adding 320lbs.

I show the Wildpeaks in 275/65/20 at E rating are 64lbs each vs 56lbs in 275/60/20 D rating. It is my understanding that unsprung weight is 10X sprung weight equivalent. So in this scenario its like adding 320lbs.
The Falkens are 58.2 lbs LT275/60R20 D rated per their website. So I guess its 8.2lbs per tire more than stock, not 9lbs.... Got what I needed from the other poster on his experience with the feel of duratrac vs the D falkens as well as the observed 1mpg decrease. Thanks.

The Falkens are 58.2 lbs LT275/60R20 D rated per their website. So I guess its 8.2lbs per tire more than stock, not 9lbs.... Got what I needed from the other poster on his experience with the feel of duratrac vs the D falkens as well as the observed 1mpg decrease. Thanks.
Damn. I rechecked my spreadsheet and I had 58lbs. Probably should have had my glasses on when I looked at it. Sorry about the misinfo. I had 64 for the E rated so I read that number correct. Good luck!

Damn. I rechecked my spreadsheet and I had 58lbs. Probably should have had my glasses on when I looked at it. Sorry about the misinfo. I had 64 for the E rated so I read that number correct. Good luck!
No worries, thanks!

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 171
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    821.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 1.jpeg