GM to issue tailgate dropping recall. Now includes some 1500's. Turned into a STOPSALE.....

gemarsh

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got an email that gm is recalling the hd's for the tailgate dropping fiasco. No remedy available.

Well, us red-neck engineering types have the cure. Might not be pavement queen truck type remedy, but for us dirt farmer, construction types, it is.

Screenshot_20240202_105822_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, I wonder if they'll come up with a redesigned switch or drain system? Mine did this when brand new and hasn't happened since they replaced the switch.

I wonder if gm is going to fix paint scratches and dents!

I wonder if gm is going to fix paint scratches and dents!
They should! Luckily, the first time mine opened into nothing. The second time I was backed up to a bush in a parking lot and it opened into it. I was pretty close so it only opened a few inches and rested on it, but the bush had pretty stiff branches and could have scratched it pretty good if the tailgate was able to drag along further.

After looking at the MyGMC app for information about the specific's on the recall, it looks like gm is including the Canadian half tons also. I did not received on for my USA '21 1500 Denali yet. I betting gm will include the USA 1500's soon. Did get a second email this afternoon for the '23 HD...

Screenshot_20240202_193057.jpg

My 2023 AT4X has had the tailgate drop while driving numerous times. I didn't accidentally hit the drop tailgate switch any of those times, although that has happened before. But this is while driving, so it shouldn't drop regardless. Heck, it happened just yesterday.

I have the GM box mesh thing that goes across the back of the tailgate area since I carry a ton of tools in my truck (contractor). I got the mesh thing (can't think of it's actual name currently) specifically for this reason of my tailgate just dropping while driving.

No idea if this is related to the current recall, but wouldn't surprise me.

This happened to me at least 3x over a 2 week period while driving. Took it to my dealership and they replaced the auto switch that makes it drop when the key fob tailgate is depressed. Hasn't happened anymore.
2023 AT4X AEV edition

I just entered my vin. My 24 3500 doesn't seem to be affected. The gate seems to have the release while driving fix as well. My tailgate will not open/drop in anything except park.
Same here, no recall, however as a precautionary measure, I implemented my own fix for the tailgate weep holes issue to prevent water hitting switches below, yet allowing it to drain as intended away from the switches. I put my remedy pictures up in a similar thread a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I just put in my VIN (2022 2500-AT4) and no recalls (yet). I will keep checking. I was barely aware that handhold indent (with the weep holes that leak onto switch) even existed.... never used it in 100's of times opening tailgate. Who would ever use that handhold to yank at the tailgate while closed? I think I will plug the holes for now, I don't care if the handhold fills up with water, I would never stick my hand in it to use it.

I just put in my VIN (2022 2500-AT4) and no recalls (yet). I will keep checking. I was barely aware that handhold indent (with the weep holes that leak onto switch) even existed.... never used it in 100's of times opening tailgate. Who would ever use that handhold to yank at the tailgate while closed? I think I will plug the holes for now, I don't care if the handhold fills up with water, I would never stick my hand in it to use it.
Which indent are you referring to? Pic please

Most reactions

Back