Engine on AT4

What engine did you choose on your AT4 or are you planning on choosing?

• 5.3 L V8 Gas

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • 3.0 Turbo Inline-6 Diesel

Votes: 77 46.7%
  • 6.2 L V8 Gas

Votes: 81 49.1%

• Total voters
My buddy advised me the 5.3 is the most reliable engine on GMCs but I wanted that extra oomph and I’m glad I went with the 6.2. It’s weird. When I was driving around in Mercedes and NSX, I didn’t get as many compliments as I get with the AT4.

Many people seem to hate on the small 2 seaters but for some reason, they love trucks, AT4 in particular.

3.0 DMAX is the engine for me... I just love diesels 😀 Ideally it will be in a Yukon AT4, even if I have to swap it in there. As for reliability, I really like mods, so I shouldn't any problem doing mods to prevent any issues. I too have heard the 5.3 is the most reliable.

I had duramax 6.6L in my last 3 HD trucks and loved the engine. However, I didn't care for the maintenance, fuel filters, def fluid etc.... ( I miss my LBZ) This time around I'm towing MUCH less so I didn't need the HD. I got the 6.2L because, they didn't make it with a 6.3L :)

I had duramax 6.6L in my last 3 HD trucks and loved the engine. However, I didn't care for the maintenance, fuel filters, def fluid etc.... ( I miss my LBZ) This time around I'm towing MUCH less so I didn't need the HD. I got the 6.2L because, they didn't make it with a 6.3L :)
Very similar to why I chose the 6.2

Most of my towing these days is motorcycles, maybe a small tractor, jeeps and hotrods etc... but nothing too heavy. Except.....next week I have to drive to Vermont to pick up our sprinter camper van that's been in the shop since it broke down in July. That thing is a heavy pig, even with my aluminum car hauler only weighing 1900 lbs......once I load that sprinter I'll be over the recommended towing capacity. But it's a 6 hour drive....my trailers got brakes on both axles, and I'm just going to take it easy. I'm sure the 6.2L has the power, it's just the gearing and probably the lift that hurts it's towing capacity?

Most of my towing these days is motorcycles, maybe a small tractor, jeeps and hotrods etc... but nothing too heavy. Except.....next week I have to drive to Vermont to pick up our sprinter camper van that's been in the shop since it broke down in July. That thing is a heavy pig, even with my aluminum car hauler only weighing 1900 lbs......once I load that sprinter I'll be over the recommended towing capacity. But it's a 6 hour drive....my trailers got brakes on both axles, and I'm just going to take it easy. I'm sure the 6.2L has the power, it's just the gearing and probably the lift that hurts it's towing capacity?
Be safe

It may not be over.....my truck says 8,800 lbs. I know my trailer's 1900 so that leaves me 6900 lbs.....my sprinter weighed about 5500 as a cargo van...with the camper build out.....no idea...but I'm sure it's close.

It may not be over.....my truck says 8,800 lbs. I know my trailer's 1900 so that leaves me 6900 lbs.....my sprinter weighed about 5500 as a cargo van...with the camper build out.....no idea...but I'm sure it's close.
You should be fine- like you said just slow and easy

Same here. I didn't want to worry about the DEF, EGR, etc so I went back to a gasser. Plus, the old LBZ was in the garage every weekend fixing odds and ends.

Last edited:
I owned a 2009 LMM DRW truck with a banks 6 pack tuner and traded to a 3500 HD 6.0L in 2016. The sixteen was a very nice truck but very heavy on fuel. After watching the LM2 3.0 for a couple of years I decided to order a 2022 Refreshed with the 3.0 and so far only 3 weeks in am very satisfied with the powertrain. I use about 1/2 the fuel on the LM2 and I realize that the 1500 is a lighter truck than the 3500 HD SRW was. Both of my previous trucks had zero power train issues.

The 6.2 has more HP for passing etc. but the gas engines have had lifter issues as well, so the Duramax 3.0 was my choice.:unsure: Time will tell?

I come from ram Laramie and only reason I change is the 6.2 engine, to be totally honest if ram offered the mighty 6.4 hemi in the 1500 I would have never come over to GMC , but that being said, I do love my new 2023 gmc AT4

I chose the 6.2l on my Yukon AT4 but with the issues I’m having with it (spun crankshaft bearings at 5000km) I’m second guessing my decision.

Back