Dealer used 87 octane

Andre F.

Reaction score
Just bought my AT4. Freakin dealer salesman admitted to putting in 87 octane to fill the first tank. Truck is stumbling. I get it and I'll be good by next week. Anyone have any experience using 89 Octane vs. 92 Octane? I only ask because I've read that the 6.2 can be used with 89. Sure it's possible, but I don't want to use 89 if it costs me performance and makes the 6.2 and 10 speed stumble.

You’re paying a ton of money for a nice, expensive truck. Go with what the engineers who designed it recommend.

It SHOULD drive cheap gas without any issues. Mine did. I bought into my '22 6.2L coming from an old truck that would run on varnish. I coincidentally used 87 octane for thousands of miles before I realized the mistake. From what I recall, I think all the wizbang computers can tell when detonation is near and adjust timing accordingly. So you lose power but do not destroy anything.

Just bought my AT4. Freakin dealer salesman admitted to putting in 87 octane to fill the first tank. Truck is stumbling. I get it and I'll be good by next week. Anyone have any experience using 89 Octane vs. 92 Octane? I only ask because I've read that the 6.2 can be used with 89. Sure it's possible, but I don't want to use 89 if it costs me performance and makes the 6.2 and 10 speed stumble.
I run 87 octance nearly every tank and cycle in premium when it's affordable. Zero issues in performance, no idle stumbling, works as usual. I don't even notice if it runs better on premium when I use it. Most often, the engineers reccomend premium because that is what the engine is tested on and it can be assured to deliver the MPG numbers that they publish. That said, you may get better fuel economy using premium fuel. But don't be suckered in to premium when it isn't necessary. It isn't a gentle Euro sports car. It's an American made truck.

I run 87 octance nearly every tank and cycle in premium when it's affordable. Zero issues in performance, no idle stumbling, works as usual. I don't even notice if it runs better on premium when I use it. Most often, the engineers reccomend premium because that is what the engine is tested on and it can be assured to deliver the MPG numbers that they publish. That said, you may get better fuel economy using premium fuel. But don't be suckered in to premium when it isn't necessary. It isn't a gentle Euro sports car. It's an American made truck.
Not just mpg but power ratings as well. i paid for 420/460 and that’s what I want.

Won't hurt it I have used 87 many many times no issues.

Just picked mine up last week. Dealer admitted they purposely don't put the recommended octane in them because they don't want to spend the money. Mine ran fine for the first week on 87. Just put 93 in it yesterday and honestly can't tell a difference other than my wallet.

Just picked mine up last week. Dealer admitted they purposely don't put the recommended octane in them because they don't want to spend the money. Mine ran fine for the first week on 87. Just put 93 in it yesterday and honestly can't tell a difference other than my wallet.
Me either and I have light towed with mine with 87, all I could buy where I was at. Better than walking with an empty tank.

I have been trying both…… can’t tell a difference at all. I went as far as trying all 3 grades to see if it makes a difference on the same highway run and I live at 5k. No change. I have been running 91 because it’s quite a bit cheaper than the 93 but 89 here has ethanol and we can get non ethanol 91.

Back