Build Journal for my 2023 1500 AT4

palehorse

Reaction score
Well met, everyone! I picked up a 2023 Sierra 1500 AT4 CarbonPro with the 3.0 Duramax at the end of December. This thread is simply a running journal for my build that may help others make similar decisions. If you have any questions about the parts, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

My use cases:
1. She's my daily driver.
2. I do a lot of camping and boondocking throughout the U.S., so I will lean toward staying practical with most of my build decisions. She'll carry a rooftop tent, a mountain bike, a fishing kayak, and tons of camping gear for my adventures.
3. I drive a lot! Averaged more than 20k miles/year with my last truck, and this one is already on pace for more than that this year.

The brand new blank canvas, 30 December 2022:
canvas.jpg

Last edited:
First up, the antenna. Went with a 6.75" AntennaMastsRus. No issues with install or reception.

antenna.jpg

Last edited:
Next up, black badging. I considered going with Hyperdip or one of the ebay versions, but settled on just using some GM points to get 50% off on the OEM replacements.

Still need to find a good solution for black+red GMC logos in the front and rear.
badge1.jpg

badge2.jpg

badge4.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to install some of these next:

ES ENGINEERED BY SCHILDMEIER Stake Pocket Cover Set
pocket-cover.jpg

They popped right in, sit perfectly flush, and look like they came from the factory IMO. No issues.
pocket-cover2.jpg

Next up, wheels. Didn't really do anything original in this regard, as my choice seems pretty standard for these trucks. I absolutely love the look, though, so it is what it is.

Fuel Rebel 6, 20"x9", +1 Offset. My only regret is that I think the +20 offset version would have been a much better choice for tire clearance in the future. New tires have to wait a bit anyways, so I'll just deal with that later.
Fuel.Rebel6-1.jpg

Fuel.Rebel6-2.jpg

Fuel.Rebel6-3.jpg

The goal for my tonneau cover choice is to maintain full access to the entire bed with the rooftop tent mounted on a rack above. I used a soft roll-up cover on my last truck for that seem purpose, but decided to do it right this time. I went with the RetraxOne XR with T-slot rails.
cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

Current phone mount solution is an A-tach mount with the magnetic holder. I like where the mount places the phone in the cab, but I'm not sure about the magnetic holder. I ordered the standard holder to swap it out and see which I like best.
mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

mount3.jpg

This location works great for using the ODB Fusion app to monitor the regen and DPF info during long trips. (for those who aren't willing to spend money on an iDash unit until the Derringer tuner becomes available).
mount4.jpg

Next up, black badging. I considered going with Hyperdip or one of the ebay versions, but settled on just using some GM points to get 50% off on the OEM replacements.

Still need to find a good solution for black+red GMC logos in the front and rear.
View attachment 2683
View attachment 2684
View attachment 2693
I had the Black GMC front and rear installed - my black badging that you installed is still on the way. You'll love the Black GMC emblems.

I had my dealer install the black badging but I decided to keep the red GMC badges because I personally like the red offset of it and the red recovery hooks. I am so happy with the other black badging I had installed

Very nice looks great. Enjoy your new truck
Thank you!
I had the Black GMC front and rear installed - my black badging that you installed is still on the way. You'll love the Black GMC emblems.
I'm actually planning on going red+black for the emblems, rather than the black+chrome replacements from GMC. I just haven't figured out whether I want to paint them myself or order some from eBay.

Both styles and color schemes definitely look good, though!
I had my dealer install the black badging but I decided to keep the red GMC badges because I personally like the red offset of it and the red recovery hooks. I am so happy with the other black badging I had installed
I agree with leaving the red on the emblems to accent the other red on the truck, but I'm looking for a way to make the outline black.

Thank you!

I'm actually planning on going red+black for the emblems, rather than the black+chrome replacements from GMC. I just haven't figured out whether I want to paint them myself or order some from eBay.

Both styles and color schemes definitely look good, though!

I agree with leaving the red on the emblems to accent the other red on the truck, but I'm looking for a way to make the outline black.

Oh I see now. Yes I agree. and would also like to remove that chrome strip around the GMC. Then again for me I don't notice it too much to bother me too much, but if there was an easy way to delete the chrome I would

Most reactions

Back