Bouncy towing

b2000

Reaction score
I just did my first tow with a new 22 refresh 1500 AT4. 3000mi on the truck. 5000lb 19ft travel trailer.

As per owners manual, I kept it under 50mph, (which is going to be annoying for 500 miles).

Everything went fine, felt fine. Except on the road the ride was really bouncy and less comfortable than the more smooth towing I experienced in my previous truck.

Just looking for some feedback here. Is this something that also improves after the break in period? Lot of people on this thread love to hate on the factory Rancho rear shocks, and I've read comments that they're bouncy. Is the bouncyness because of those and is just a they way it is?

Appreciate hearing about anyone elses experiences. Thanks...

what kind of weight distributing hitch are you using ?
I have no problem at all with same truck and 4500 lbs

what kind of weight distributing hitch are you using ?
I have no problem at all with same truck and 4500 lbs
something like this. I think it's 1000lb. I bought it for my last truck, used it for 5 years. Do these last forever or is there some fatigue with the weight distribution arms and good idea to update after certain mileage?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 10.04.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 10.04.20 AM.png
    345 KB · Views: 61
I think, and this is just me, but you are pretty close to the tongue limit for that hitch, I think. I don't know how that type of hitch sets up, regardless , I think you would be happier with a 6000 or 10000 lb hitch.
I have a 10K equalizer, way overkill, but we are new at this and looked to the possible future, bigger unit.
Anyway, I am (was) an aircraft mech. and am hopelessly anal when it comes to set up details. With the equalizer I can get as close as +or- 100 lbs front and rear, totally level and virtually no sway (giant, oncoming semi's not withstanding ) to speak of. do a bit of research, I would suggest.
You might look up the set up procedure paperwork for that hitch as its likely you just need to adjust the chain tensions for your current particular situation and you would be way better.
R

Mine is bouncing too. I have a Winnebago Minnie 2301BHS, probably close to 6500lbs. I have Sumo springs, which helped, and use an Anderson WDH but still bouncy. I’ve been exploring new Rancho adjustable rear shocks or air bags.

Please carefully research your situation with towing professionals before beefing up the back end. On the internet, there is a massive amount of information about the benefits of airbags (or stiffer real suspension parts), but very little on the dangers. Trying to correct a downward force problem at a rear hitch (as opposed to a fifth wheel), with either no weight distribution, or a system that is not working quite right, with airbags may only be masking a worse problem: Taking too much weight off the front axel.

I don't know why your previous truck felt better. You won't see any break-in changes. Just curious, do you have LT tires? Are they properly inflated for the load? I just don't know enough about your setup to recommend anything, but I would really lean towards looking deeper into your weight distribution hitch. Maybe Lasllc is correct that it's at its upper limit, or just not working quite right. I live near a spot on I91 where the southbound lane has a perfect storm of conditions that cause "front-end-light" towing trucks to loose steering traction and crash into the median. A slight dip in the road, on a downward grade, on a bend gradual enough where you don't think about slowing down. A hazard that is virtually unnoticeable in nearly all other situations.

My SWAG is that your equalizer hitch is not set up right. Did you measure your front fender and rear fender height empty and after hooking up the trailer with equalizer if not that is where you start too much squat at the rear and you get the bouncy feeling you could try take up another link and see if that is more level.
Another place to look is truck hitch height versus trailer hitch height. Back the truck up to the trailer and compare the height of the ball versus the trailer coupler height with the trailer level front to back if the ball is several inches higher than the coupler you may need to get an adjustable truck hitch that you can raise or lower until you are near the level of trailer coupler. At that point the equalizer should be able to keep your front end more planted. I found that the trailers tow best if they are near level front to back when hooked up. JMO:unsure:

I would recommend Timbrens. I had em on my F150 and they helped when towing my boat. My boat with trailer, fuel & tackle is about 4500-5000lbs and I haven’t had any real issues with this new truck and bounce.

Attachments

• IMG_6733.jpeg
    IMG_6733.jpeg
    476.3 KB · Views: 72
Stop by your trailer sales and or local hitch installer and ask them to take a look and see what they recommend. :)

I just did my first tow with a new 22 refresh 1500 AT4. 3000mi on the truck. 5000lb 19ft travel trailer.

As per owners manual, I kept it under 50mph, (which is going to be annoying for 500 miles).

Everything went fine, felt fine. Except on the road the ride was really bouncy and less comfortable than the more smooth towing I experienced in my previous truck.

Just looking for some feedback here. Is this something that also improves after the break in period? Lot of people on this thread love to hate on the factory Rancho rear shocks, and I've read comments that they're bouncy. Is the bouncyness because of those and is just a they way it is?

Appreciate hearing about anyone elses experiences. Thanks...
Unless you have your hitch improperly set up and/or you’re exceeding your payload with excess cargo in the truck or bed, then you likely are NOT exceeding the trucks specs. Max tongue weight on my 2023 AT4 1500 with the 3.0 engine is 1035lbs per the factory sticker on the door sill. Yours is likely very close to the same. The issue is the Rancho shocks. They are decent for normal driving but they suck for towing. I’ll be upgrading mine to Bilstein 5100’s soon which I’ve had positive experiences with towing on my previous vehicles. For reference I tow a 29ft Kestone Premier travel trailer that is 5800# dry and 7300#max load weight. I use a 10k Equalizer weight distribution hitch. And it tows nicely except for the bouncy rear from the shocks. Even with the bounce I rarely hit the bump stops unless crossing over large expansion joints in the road and such. I recently swapped out the stock bump stops for Timbren SES’s and my opinion is mixed right now. While they do completely eliminate the bounce, the rear ride is harsher. Also when unloaded the Timbrens occasionally make contact causing a rougher ride than stock form. I’ll tow a little more to see if they break in and soften up, but if they don’t I’m going to shit can them.

Most reactions

Back