BEST Cold air intake?

I went with the cold air inductions cold air intake. I like it, haven't really noticed anything exactly. It seems like I am getting better gas milage, but waiting till I fill up to see, but my schedule has been way off to really tell.

I got the Airaid intake 201-382. It was a toss up between that and the cold air inductions, but I liked the looks of the Airaid and it was one of the few that actually had a dyno sheet with the 6.2. I have a Cold Air Inductions intake on my Trailblazer SS and am very happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
My highway mileage improved form 18 to 22 mpg on a 550 mile round trip I take 5-6 times a year. But, the 18 mpg was prior to 3000 miles on the stock truck, and 22 mpg came after I installed the intake and had 3000 miles plus it. A lot of the improvement could be that I just had more break in miles on the truck. 🤷‍♂️
One big improvement I noticed was the amount of carbon build up on the exhaust tips. The first time I cleaned them they were totally black, and now with the intake just have a little black on the bottom edge. But again, could have been running rich for a break in period too. I couldn't find anything on the net to confirm the ECM changing fuel mixtures at given mile intervals. If anyone has any insight on that I'd like to hear it.

Attachments

• Airaid.jpg
    Airaid.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 460
I got the Airaid intake 201-382. It was a toss up between that and the cold air inductions, but I liked the looks of the Airaid and it was one of the few that actually had a dyno sheet with the 6.2. I have a Cold Air Inductions intake on my Trailblazer SS and am very happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
My highway mileage improved form 18 to 22 mpg on a 550 mile round trip I take 5-6 times a year. But, the 18 mpg was prior to 3000 miles on the stock truck, and 22 mpg came after I installed the intake and had 3000 miles plus it. A lot of the improvement could be that I just had more break in miles on the truck. 🤷‍♂️
One big improvement I noticed was the amount of carbon build up on the exhaust tips. The first time I cleaned them they were totally black, and now with the intake just have a little black on the bottom edge. But again, could have been running rich for a break in period too. I couldn't find anything on the net to confirm the ECM changing fuel mixtures at given mile intervals. If anyone has any insight on that I'd like to hear it.
I like that look with the window to view the filter. Is there any advantages to being in a box versus the open version with just a couple metal side panels? Better air flow either way? Etc?

I installed a S&B Cold Air Intake about a month ago. Install was smooth and easy, they did a really great job with how they present the information and laid out step by step instructions.

I was quite surprised with the difference this made. I really didn't expect it to make as big of a difference as it did.

For a relatively inexpensive and easy to self install mod, it made a big difference in sound and response.

My motivation to installing this was efficiency, but now I'm heavier on the pedal because the truck is just more fun to drive - so I'm surely getting worse MPG compared to stock due to my own driving tendencies. But, honestly, installing this is partly responsible for me going from liking the truck to loving it so it is what it is.

I installed a S&B Cold Air Intake about a month ago. Install was smooth and easy, they did a really great job with how they present the information and laid out step by step instructions.

I was quite surprised with the difference this made. I really didn't expect it to make as big of a difference as it did.

For a relatively inexpensive and easy to self install mod, it made a big difference in sound and response.

My motivation to installing this was efficiency, but now I'm heavier on the pedal because the truck is just more fun to drive - so I'm surely getting worse MPG compared to stock due to my own driving tendencies. But, honestly, installing this is partly responsible for me going from liking the truck to loving it so it is what it is.
Which model number did you get?

Which model number did you get?
S&B 75-5128-1

S&B Cold Air Intake with Oiled Cleanable Cotton Filter​

Although, If I did it again, I would probably get the disposable filter. S&B claims that the two have the exact same performance attributes. Getting the disposable one would be more wasteful, but would also be easier to deal with and remove any potential dialogue with GMC about whether or not you cleaned it right if any issue were to ever arise.

Here's a pic of mine:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 4.54.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 4.54.00 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 205

That is interesting to hear. Do you have a cat back exhaust, or just normal stock exhaust? This was on the 6.2?

Thanks!

That is interesting to hear. Do you have a cat back exhaust, or just normal stock exhaust? This was on the 6.2?

Thanks!
I have the 6.2

I do have a cat back exhaust, but I installed the S&B CAI before I installed the exhaust. Maybe that's one of the reasons I was so surprised. The S&B intake dramatically changed the sound of the truck-even with stock exhaust.

Since then, I installed the Borla Touring cat back. It is exactly as advertised. Sounds good on cold start. Then kind of is an afterthought under normal driving conditions. It's not loud or obnoxious, just more throaty with a better tone. But if you put the pedal down, or pass another car, it wakes up and sounds pissed which is fun. I went with this one because I tow a trailer and live at the bottom of a hill, and didn't want to blow out my neighbors every time I left the house, or annoy myself/wife/family on long trips towing the trailer with a dron-ey, loud exhaust. So, I'm happy with it for those reasons. But, honestly, for non-towing applications, I find myself kinda wishing I got the S-type. Maybe that would have been too much, I'm probably in the best situation for my needs with the touring set up I got, but sometimes you get caught up on the escalator of life you know?? –you get a little more and want a little more!

I have the 6.2

I do have a cat back exhaust, but I installed the S&B CAI before I installed the exhaust. Maybe that's one of the reasons I was so surprised. The S&B intake dramatically changed the sound of the truck-even with stock exhaust.

Since then, I installed the Borla Touring cat back. It is exactly as advertised. Sounds good on cold start. Then kind of is an afterthought under normal driving conditions. It's not loud or obnoxious, just more throaty with a better tone. But if you put the pedal down, or pass another car, it wakes up and sounds pissed which is fun. I went with this one because I tow a trailer and live at the bottom of a hill, and didn't want to blow out my neighbors every time I left the house, or annoy myself/wife/family on long trips towing the trailer with a dron-ey, loud exhaust. So, I'm happy with it for those reasons. But, honestly, for non-towing applications, I find myself kinda wishing I got the S-type. Maybe that would have been too much, I'm probably in the best situation for my needs with the touring set up I got, but sometimes you get caught up on the escalator of life you know?? –you get a little more and want a little more!

Exactly the type of info I was looking for! Thanks! I think the touring is what I would go for also. Gives some growl but not too much. I pull a trailer almost daily during the work week, but live in Montana in the mountains so have no close neighbors to bother, but I still want nice growl, not obnoxious growl.

I didn't notice that much of a performance, or sound difference with just the S&B intake. Maybe a little louder but nothing crazy. Now swapping out he stock exhaust that was an entirely different story.

S&B 75-5128-1

S&B Cold Air Intake with Oiled Cleanable Cotton Filter​

Although, If I did it again, I would probably get the disposable filter. S&B claims that the two have the exact same performance attributes. Getting the disposable one would be more wasteful, but would also be easier to deal with and remove any potential dialogue with GMC about whether or not you cleaned it right if any issue were to ever arise.

Here's a pic of mine:
I'm torn between this intake and a K&N. Was the sound aggressive? I know this might sound silly but I'm trying to find an intake system that's not too loud.

Most reactions

Back