AT4 winterized for winter duty

Andystoy AT4

Reaction score
Installed the sled/Atv deck and it snowed so this is what it looks like at -31C/-24F. Ready for the winter season which will last until at least mid March.🥶
20221202_124150 (1).jpg

No need to plug it in? You have gas or diesel? Interested in these things as I live in one of the few places in the lower 48 that gets that cold.

Speaking of winter, does anyone run snow tires? I just got my 2022 AT4X, and I'm not sure yet how well the stock tires will perform on snow and ice all winter.

It's a LM2 3.0 diesel, I don't normally plug in until it stays below -30C for days and then only for an hour or two just before starting. I don't know what the no start temperature for this truck is without being plugged in? My LMM would start at -35C without a plug in and my 2016, 6.0 gas, that I traded, I never looked for the block heater cord from the time I bought it.

I am concerned about the DEF freezing and bursting the tank so it is now only 3/4 full and will stay that way for the winter. DEF will freeze at -12F/-24C and expands about 7% so that is why I have room for expansion.

I have the option to wait for warmer weather most times since -30C and colder restricts my outdoor activities.🥶

Speaking of winter, does anyone run snow tires? I just got my 2022 AT4X, and I'm not sure yet how well the stock tires will perform on snow and ice all winter.
I believe the "mud terrain" tires that come with the AT4X are great in the mud and off-road, but not so great in ice and snow. One of the reasons I did not go with the 18 inch wheel/tire combo that comes with mud terrains on my AT4. I am by no means a tire expert and have never had mud terrains. It just seemed to be the consensus I learned with Jeep ownership and those owner discussions.

If you are an everyday driver that uses the truck for work and live in a snow and ice part of the world you would probably be better off with an ice/snow tire like the Goodyear Winter Command or similar tire because the Duratrac get harder in the cold temperatures and have less sipes resulting in less ice traction.
I live in Alberta and started driving before the invention of ice tires so I will stay with the Duratracs for now and eventually replace them when they are worn out with an ice tire. :)

It's a LM2 3.0 diesel, I don't normally plug in until it stays below -30C for days and then only for an hour or two just before starting. I don't know what the no start temperature for this truck is without being plugged in? My LMM would start at -35C without a plug in and my 2016, 6.0 gas, that I traded, I never looked for the block heater cord from the time I bought it.

I am concerned about the DEF freezing and bursting the tank so it is now only 3/4 full and will stay that way for the winter. DEF will freeze at -12F/-24C and expands about 7% so that is why I have room for expansion.

I have the option to wait for warmer weather most times since -30C and colder restricts my outdoor activities.🥶
I agonized over my decision to buy gas over the diesel. I really wanted the diesel for all its advantages but the reported extreme cold/DEF issues scared me away. It can get pretty cold parked on a frozen lake next to my fish house!

Two different conversations going on here. Back to the OP - I like that sled/ATV deck! How exactly does that work? Does it tilt and then slide or...?

When you open the tailgate, there is a rack right under the deck where two sections of ramp are stored so you lose only about the top 6" of height under the deck in the box for storage. The two sections of ramp pin together (front to back and weigh about 70 lbs.) and form a 11'6" ramp that you hang on the beaver tail at the back of the deck to give you a long smooth transition from the ground to the deck.
The deck itself has a sliding wing on each side that moves in as in the picture or out about a foot on each side to widen the deck so that you can haul two sleds or quads etc. The slides pin at the front and the back with a safety pin to keep them in the enclosed or extended position. The deck weighs about 250 lbs. with ramps. It is all aluminum frame with 5/8" plywood on the deck. I attach the deck to the inside of the box on all four corners with tighteners and on the last truck I drilled down through the front frame of the deck and into the frame cross piece below the box and fastened with a 3/8" bolt. On each corner at the back I drilled through the box and fastened with a 3/8" bolt to satisfy the highway patrol in case of a roadside check.

I can load a mountain sled or my 2022 Renegade XRS 900R at about walking speed (just enough speed to lift the front skis up and allow the track to grab the crosspieces on the ramp and propel the sled to the deck. The ramp and the sled deck have Superglides installed to protect the ramp and deck from damage from the carbides on the front skis. A quad can climb the ramp on the superglides with no slippage as well. I have a superglide pad under the center of the track to allow the track traction in reverse to be able to back down for unloading. 🙂

I can only carry one sled or one large Quad on the AT4 due to decreased load capacity of the 1500.;)

Last edited:
When you open the tailgate, there is a rack right under the deck where two sections of ramp are stored so you lose only about the top 6" of height under the deck in the box for storage. The two sections of ramp pin together (front to back and weigh about 70 lbs.) and form a 11'6" ramp that you hang on the beaver tail at the back of the deck to give you a long smooth transition from the ground to the deck.
The deck itself has a sliding wing on each side that moves in as in the picture or out about a foot on each side to widen the deck so that you can haul two sleds or quads etc. The slides pin at the front and the back with a safety pin to keep them in the enclosed or extended position. The deck weighs about 250 lbs. with ramps. It is all aluminum frame with 5/8" plywood on the deck. I attach the deck to the inside of the box on all four corners with tighteners and on the last truck I drilled down through the front frame of the deck and into the frame cross piece below the box and fastened with a 3/8" bolt. On each corner at the back I drilled through the box and fastened with a 3/8" bolt to satisfy the highway patrol in case of a roadside check.

I can load a mountain sled or my 2022 Renegade XRS 900R at about walking speed (just enough speed to lift the front skis up and allow the track to grab the crosspieces on the ramp and propel the sled to the deck. The ramp and the sled deck have Superglides installed to protect the ramp and deck from damage from the carbides on the front skis. A quad can climb the ramp on the superglides with no slippage as well. I have a superglide pad under the center of the track to allow the track traction in reverse to be able to back down for unloading. 🙂

I can only carry one sled or one large Quad on the AT4 due to decreased load capacity of the 1500.;)
Awesome!!

I haven't priced one lately but the newest ones by Marathon, Truck boss, CrossTrax etc. will run Cdn$4000-$8000 depending on the options? 🤑

Back