Air bags for towing

20231013_135801.jpg

Hello,
I have a '23 AT4X and I hooked up my toy hauler (6000 lbs) and it squats to where the camper is riding like 6-8 inches off the pavement near the tongue. I want to get airbags for it for that reason. Has anyone else done this? If so, can anyone recommend a good kit to go with? Thanks!
Looks like you have brackets for a weight distribution hitch. That would help bring the back end up and your front end down.

Looks like you have brackets for a weight distribution hitch. That would help bring the back end up and your front end down.
They are just stabilizer bars that go from the hitch to the trailer, they don't bring anything up or down. I just didn't bother even putting them on because I ended up towing it with my Yukon Denali which auto levels itself after the trailer squats it, the only thing is the mirrors are tiny. The only thing that will keep it from squatting down so far that I can think of would be air bags. But with the fancy suspension on this truck I was hoping to hear from others that might have already installed airbags on their AT4X.

Get a weight distribution setup. Even with bags you are not getting the correct weight on the front end of the truck. And, I am in agreement with dpsmart; looks like a weight distribution shank and brackets you have there. Stabilizer bars (antisway devices) do not mount in that fashion. Can't quite make out the brand from that shot but it appears to be a husky, reese, or curt with built in sway control.

Get a weight distribution setup. Even with bags you are not getting the correct weight on the front end of the truck. And, I am in agreement with dpsmart; looks like a weight distribution shank and brackets you have there. Stabilizer bars (antisway devices) do not mount in that fashion. Can't quite make out the brand from that shot but it appears to be a husky, reese, or curt with built in sway control.
The bars that come with it you pop them in under the hitch then you use a prying tool to prop them up on those brackets you see. It literally does nothing to the height of the trailer or the rear end of the truck, but it does make the trailer tow much more stable and reduces the swaying. Elaborate on the weight distribution set up you speak of.

You are not putting enough leverage on the bars. take a look at this setup video for Husky. Identify yours and google its set up if it is not husky they are all close to the same but some differences.

Hello,
I have a '23 AT4X and I hooked up my toy hauler (6000 lbs) and it squats to where the camper is riding like 6-8 inches off the pavement near the tongue. I want to get airbags for it for that reason. Has anyone else done this? If so, can anyone recommend a good kit to go with? Thanks!
My last truck was a SLT model 4x4! I had a weight distribution hitch set up with Firestone air bags. That set up works flawlessly air bags is a must! You won't be disappointed! I went with the manual fill, but I hear the on-board air compressor is very nice to have you can fill air from inside your truck!
4x4 Parts on San Carlos has a great Team very helpful!

Airlift air bag system. It's the only way to go. Did this to my 1500 when I went to the bigger boat. World of difference while towing with these lightly sprung trucks.

Same for myself. I have had the Airlift 5000 bags in my last 3 trucks. On my 23 AT4X, the suspension is so soft you can't tow much of anything without a lot of rear end squat. The airlift 5000 airbags make a world of difference. Night and day.

I also have the Airlift mini onboard compressor. You can control it with the remote they give you (size of a garage door remote) or the app on your phone.

The ride on the AT4X is still very good, even with the Airlift airbags. I keep the airbags at 20 psi for non-towing driving. Rides great. Still a supple feel, but also firm enough IMO.

Towing with my 23 AT4X 1500 6.2 is worlds better with the airbags. I doubt I will ever have a half ton truck again without them. But the soft suspension on the AT4X with the multimatic shocks basically demands airbags if you plan to tow a trailer of any real size/weight. I realize the truck was not set up to tow with that suspension, but people still use their trucks as trucks. I know I do as a contractor.

So high praise for the Airlift 5000 airbags from me.

They are just stabilizer bars that go from the hitch to the trailer, they don't bring anything up or down. I just didn't bother even putting them on because I ended up towing it with my Yukon Denali which auto levels itself after the trailer squats it, the only thing is the mirrors are tiny. The only thing that will keep it from squatting down so far that I can think of would be air bags. But with the fancy suspension on this truck I was hoping to hear from others that might have already installed airbags on their AT4X.
That looks like a WD system to me as well. If it's not leveling out the truck, it might not be set up correctly. The placement of the ball, the angle of it, as well the height of the brackets on the trailer need to be set for a particular truck/trailer combo. In other words, one size doesn't fit all. It could also be sized too small. I wouldn't pull a travel trailer over say 25+ feet w/o a WD system and an anti-sway system.

Same for myself. I have had the Airlift 5000 bags in my last 3 trucks. On my 23 AT4X, the suspension is so soft you can't tow much of anything without a lot of rear end squat. The airlift 5000 airbags make a world of difference. Night and day.

I also have the Airlift mini onboard compressor. You can control it with the remote they give you (size of a garage door remote) or the app on your phone.

The ride on the AT4X is still very good, even with the Airlift airbags. I keep the airbags at 20 psi for non-towing driving. Rides great. Still a supple feel, but also firm enough IMO.

Towing with my 23 AT4X 1500 6.2 is worlds better with the airbags. I doubt I will ever have a half ton truck again without them. But the soft suspension on the AT4X with the multimatic shocks basically demands airbags if you plan to tow a trailer of any real size/weight. I realize the truck was not set up to tow with that suspension, but people still use their trucks as trucks. I know I do as a contractor.

So high praise for the Airlift 5000 airbags from me.
I just got the same AirLift 5000 kit off Amazon delivered today. I think it will work great. My other truck is an old 07 Chevy 1500, I have bags on it too, but the 5.3L and 4 speed tranny doesn't tow weight up hills for anything, pretty gutless. And yeah I agree, it's an off road truck but it's still my truck that I need to tow my toys with, I only got this specific model cuz I got the 0.9% financing on it and the others didn't have that offer.

Hello,
I’m being told that because of the suspension on AT4X nobody makes airbags

I’m being told that because of the suspension on AT4X nobody makes airbags

Nobody makes airbags for the AT4X? IDK about the 2500 and 3500, but my 23 AT4X 1500 has the airlift airbags. No problems, they work great.

Nobody makes airbags for the AT4X? IDK about the 2500 and 3500, but my 23 AT4X 1500 has the airlift airbags. No problems, they work great.
That what I am being told do you know if they Change the suspension from 23-24 I wouldn’t think so. I called air lift directly and that what I was told. It does seam strange that you can’t add them.
What kind of air bags do you have ?

Most reactions

Back