6.2 Fuel Options

OffPiste79

Reaction score
A friend pointed out to me that the 6.2 engine requires premium fuel. I had not been paying attention to it but sure enough when I checked the gas fill it does have a note. Is this mandatory? I have experience with plenty of turbo European cars that require premium fuels but this is the first I have ever heard of a naturally aspirated engine requiring it. Curious to see what others are using.

I have always run premium in my 6.2 ‘s, with one exception. My 2014 Ford Raptor- for some reason it did not call for premium.

It is not “required” but “recommende. Slight gains in performance and mileage. Engine does run a little smoother with premium. With that said, I have run mostly 91 octane of my 15,000 miles. Hard to find 93 octane

I only have 1 place in town that has 93 any more, rest are 91 as well. Guy who owns marina where I get fuel for my boat is carrying 91 this year, he says his supplier told him 93 going away everywhere.

I use shell v power when available. Hurts the wallet but it does have its advantages. Also, I thought “naturally aspirated” meant a carburetor? Isn’t almost everything fuel injected nowadays?

Naturally aspirated means it is not forced induction via a turbo or supercharger. Air is drawn in by the motor not forced in by a blower.

If you go to find93.com and type in your location, it will show you where you can find 93 octane locally. I've run Shell 89 and 93 octane, and a few tanks of 91 from other suppliers, and I actually get better gas mileage running Shell 89 mid grade gas. I have a place up north about 275 miles one way, so other than weather conditions, the drive is the same. Last trip back a few weeks ago, I got 22 1/4 mpg actual, whereas the DIC said 23. Performance does not seem to be hindered that I can tell. The only mods I have that might affect gas mileage are an Airaid cold air intake, and I've sidelined the A/T tires for winter, and now run a highway tire for summer.

Last edited:
So here is a new question. My local station, who has 93, has now added 91 non-ethanol- same price. So, 91 is a little lower but pure gas per oz. Thoughts?

I'm running the cheap stuff....87 or 89. Truck seems to run just fine ....got 12k miles on it. I would burn the better fuel but not at these prices.

Reactions: Jr.

Most reactions

Back